Member Avatar for letucke

Need instructions to set up home network w/Actiontec DSL Gateway (wireless/Ethernet/USB) with three XP (1 XP Home, 1 XP Professional and one XP Home laptop) computers that can get to Internet through the Gateway now, but need to share files, printer and scanner between all computers.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi,

You can't share a scanner. It'd be useless if you could anyway, because you'd still have to walk from one machine to another to load in the document to be scanned!

I'll move this to the networking section so you can receive further advice.

Hi,

You can't share a scanner. It'd be useless if you could anyway, because you'd still have to walk from one machine to another to load in the document to be scanned!

I'll move this to the networking section so you can receive further advice.

OK, Thanks.

To set up sharing, you basically want to:

1. Give each computer a unique name.
2. Put all of the computers in the same workgroup.
3. Activate sharing for whatever folders or printers you want.

For #1 & #2, on each computer:

- Right-click on the My Computer icon and choose Properties.
- Click on the Computer Name tab and then the Change button.
- Type in a unique name for each computer.
- In the "Member of" section, choose Workgroup and type in a workgroup
name. The workgroup name should be the same on all computers.
- Click OK to close the name change box, and then click OK in the main
System Properties box.
- You will need to reboot for the changes to take effect.

File/print sharing works (or at least looks) a little differently between XP Home and XP Pro, but you should be able to figure it out. You'll find instructions and info in the following links:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=share+folder+printer+%22windows+XP%22&btnG=Search

To set up sharing, you basically want to:

1. Give each computer a unique name.
2. Put all of the computers in the same workgroup.
3. Activate sharing for whatever folders or printers you want.

For #1 & #2, on each computer:

- Right-click on the My Computer icon and choose Properties.
- Click on the Computer Name tab and then the Change button.
- Type in a unique name for each computer.
- In the "Member of" section, choose Workgroup and type in a workgroup
name. The workgroup name should be the same on all computers.
- Click OK to close the name change box, and then click OK in the main
System Properties box.
- You will need to reboot for the changes to take effect.

File/print sharing works (or at least looks) a little differently between XP Home and XP Pro, but you should be able to figure it out. You'll find instructions and info in the following links:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&q=share+folder+printer+%22windows+XP%22&btnG=Search

I went through most of the instructions on the URL above, and the basic problem is that most of the instructions there are for "XP Pro". I have "XP Home" and it seems that I must disable Simple File Sharing to enable permissions for other computers on the network to access my files. There were no instructions to do this. Is there a snap-in or something I can't find?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.