Hello all. I'm new here and need some help.

My CPU fan needs to be replaced.

My CPU fan is "JMC/DaTech Model 0925-12LMB." I contacted Dell and they assigned a unique part number to it and refer to it as the "CPU part#___" instead of referring to it as the "JMC..." fan.

(Post#3)One person says: "I suspect that the Dell fans have a unique part number, as an indication that the connector is the Dell 3-pin type. At least that has been my experience chasing down proprietary part numbers for other brands." And you must have this connector for the fan to work. So you are stuck having to get Dell spare parts and nothing else.

People try to get around it by buying a different fan and splicing the Dell connector. I believe it has worked for some, but I wouldn't know how to do it and I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it.

So, I've got to get the same part. My question is, can I get this fan from anywhere, and it will have the Dell pin type connector, or is this something Dell adds to the fan once in their possession?

As it turns out, this fan is out of production. The only places I know of that sell it as used/refurbished are non-Dell sellers. So IF the connector is only added by Dell, and no other sellers, what am I to do? I think I'm stuck if that's the case, since as I understand it, it must be replaced with the exact same thing that Dell originally installed, or I will get a fan error message at every bootup. Also, if certain specs are different from the original fan, there is risk of overheating (damaging processor). I've heard of a few cases where people replaced with a similar fan, but it still caused error messages. (see here.)

Thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I am not sure, but I think the 3-pin connector is universal throughout all manufactorers, the only problem is if it universal, you need to make sure you get the same size fan. But I am not totally positive the connector part.

(Post addition: Splicing wires A B C)

Maybe it's changed since, but my computer is from 1999, and as far as I know, the connectors and/or wires for Dell fans are screwy. (By the way, I'm not sure how many pins are in my connector and how many pins are on my fan.)

i work on old dell machines and they used to make their motherboards and components with the wires reversed all over so that you are forced to buy dell replacement parts. However, they have to beable to give you a replacement for it. I get parts form 1995 machines from them still that arent made anymore so jsut bug em and you will get it ;)

Member Avatar for rab88

Hi have been using Dell GX110's built in 2000.

They run forever, but the cpu fans do not. The Dell cpu fan for this model uses a proprietary 3 pin plug into the motherboard. I tried buying regular fans and splicing them to the plug, but the bios still said cpu fan error.

I found a source online for the fans: Directron.com
part # FAN-5215-12HBTL . These fans have the correct pin and are made by JMC Datech model 5121-12HBTL .

[IMG]http://us.st11.yimg.com/store1.yimg.com/I/directron_1881_28784817[/IMG]

These are the small fans that go with the slot 1 heat sink but they will work for the newer P3 heat sinks. If you have a tower with a large fan I think you can still get them from Dell.

Hope that helps. I looked everywhere for them.

http://www.directron.com/521512hbtl.html

Did you think to simply call Dell, and see if they had that part available? They usually do, especially for things like that, because many of those machines may still be under some type of a hardware contract.

Member Avatar for rab88

Did you think to simply call Dell, and see if they had that part available? They usually do, especially for things like that, because many of those machines may still be under some type of a hardware contract.

Actually they do not sell this CPU fan anymore and they no longer support GX110 machines even if you were willing to pay for a contract. That is why I was pleased to finally find the fans online. They did have some fans for the GX110 tower last time I checked, but not the small form factor version of the GX110.

Hope that answers your kindly toned suggestion.

:rolleyes:

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.