Alright I just got a EvGa GeForce 7800 GT OC for Christmas only to find out my power suply is too low. My local Fry's is closed on christmas and Monday so in the meantime I would like some help deciding which power supply I should get. I need at least a 400 watt power supply but was thinking anywhere from 400-480 watts would be alright as well.
I want a power supply that gets the job done, is good at cooling,is not too big, and is quiet (I know im asking for a lot there but tell me if thats possible).

I was recently looking at ones on tigerdirect.com and stubbled upon this one.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=719594&Tab=11&NoMapp=0

Could you tell me if this is any good or whats wrong with this one? And if you reccommend something else?

Thanks - Niklas

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Also has anyone every installed a new power supply into a Sony Vaio RS720G. Ive never replaced mine and need to figure out how to go about detaching my old one, putting my new one in, and making sure the power supply is even compatible with my computer.

You might want to read this excerpt from a review.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000301N94/104-2928874-5223903

I immediately wanted to try some of the latest games on the market (e.g., Half Life 2). I bought the game, loaded it, and quickly found out the computer wouldn't play it. After many painful and unhelpful "run-arounds" with Sony and Intel non-support, I learned that many of today's games require a technology built into the hardware of the graphics controller. The PCV-RS720G computer with its "integrated graphics" doesn't support that hardware technology. So the games won't run. (NOTE: For those that care, it is called Hardware Transform and Lighting. The 720G's integrated solution performs T&L in software, which many games do not support.)

But never fear...I am a clever guy...I bought the PC because it had the ability to expand video capabilities via the PCI-E slot. RIGHT?...Well, this is only partly true. Sure, there is a slot for an upgraded video card that will support the new games. BUT (and this is a big BUT) PCI-E cards require at least 300W power and typically 350-450W. Low-and-behold, the SONY only comes with 295W power supply (PSU).

Well, I just need to swap out the PSU, right? Wrong! It turns out, to my great chagrin, that not only will replacing the PSU void my warranty but also no 350W PSU exists on the market that will fit into the case. Turns out (and this is not a Sony-Only thing) that Sony had a PSU specially built so it fit snuggly in their VAIO cases. The PSUs are completely different dimensions than standard PSUs. Due to the space in the case, you can't even rig a standard PSU to fit.

If you want a good power supply them spend more than $40 ;) I spent about $115 for mine.

You might want to read this excerpt from a review.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/customer-reviews/B000301N94/104-2928874-5223903

I immediately wanted to try some of the latest games on the market (e.g., Half Life 2). I bought the game, loaded it, and quickly found out the computer wouldn't play it. After many painful and unhelpful "run-arounds" with Sony and Intel non-support, I learned that many of today's games require a technology built into the hardware of the graphics controller. The PCV-RS720G computer with its "integrated graphics" doesn't support that hardware technology. So the games won't run. (NOTE: For those that care, it is called Hardware Transform and Lighting. The 720G's integrated solution performs T&L in software, which many games do not support.)

But never fear...I am a clever guy...I bought the PC because it had the ability to expand video capabilities via the PCI-E slot. RIGHT?...Well, this is only partly true. Sure, there is a slot for an upgraded video card that will support the new games. BUT (and this is a big BUT) PCI-E cards require at least 300W power and typically 350-450W. Low-and-behold, the SONY only comes with 295W power supply (PSU).

Well, I just need to swap out the PSU, right? Wrong! It turns out, to my great chagrin, that not only will replacing the PSU void my warranty but also no 350W PSU exists on the market that will fit into the case. Turns out (and this is not a Sony-Only thing) that Sony had a PSU specially built so it fit snuggly in their VAIO cases. The PSUs are completely different dimensions than standard PSUs. Due to the space in the case, you can't even rig a standard PSU to fit.

Dont worry I have already marvelled at that $H!T the used has posted at amazon. I upgraded almost every party with little or no difficulty. The new power supply is in so I am thinking my problesm are now just in my graphics card

Dont worry I have already marvelled at that $H!T the used has posted at amazon. I upgraded almost every party with little or no difficulty. The new power supply is in so I am thinking my problesm are now just in my graphics card

Hi Niklas, I have the same problem with my sony, can you told me what PSU do you buy?

(sorry, for my english, not my native language)

Hi everyone, I solved my problem with my sony PCV-RS302, i bought an enermax 525W, all the connector are ok, the only little work is cut or bend one side of the screw support of the original case, and you will just have to insert carefully the new one, it result that a small part of the enermax supply is outside the case, but, the fan is inside, so it works perfectly (my 7600GS stay at 46°C) and the noise is exactly the same as the original one. (i work with the case on the desk)

I was unable to find a power supply of this wattage(?) that fit completly the original one.

the enermax was the one that i can slide inside with minors saw efforts.
If you have question... mp

This is over a year old now :eek:

Anyways I'm actualy completely redesigning my system now, and have a substantialy higher budget now. Going to start from scractch.

I never made the power supply really fit. I cut off part of the metal that kept the power uspply inside the case, so although the Power Supply is in the case about 1/4 inch still sticks out in the bank which is fine since I don't look there anyway.

For anyone still reading this. Stick to around $85.0-$100 Power Supplies that have reviews based on Cooling and Noise Level. Because anything in that price range from a mainstream brand won't have faulty power surges or anything of the sort.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.