Hi All,

I have a Gateway Portable SOLO 5300. I need to get the case off and I am having problems with one spot. Right above the phone modem port I can't seem to get it loose. I can't see any clip right around that area.

Does anyone know what is holding this thing together?

Thanks in advance for the help.

I had problem with the same spot. The natural assumption is to blame a clip. Double check to make sure you got all the screws. I remember tearing my box to shreds, trying to get an imaginary clip. If all your screws are removed I can re-check my old unit and hopefully help you out. However, i don't remember any clips-- but I do remember a hang by the modem.

A few other problems I had were picking up the keyboard (two clips: 1- on the right side between the windows key and control and 2- on the left side between the alt key and the space bar) and pulling out the motherboard (2 screws on the back panel)... just for future reference and future visitors.

Thanks darctones,

I actually was able to get what I needed by just reaching in from the other side. I have taken apart quite a few laptops but this one was a challenge. Thanks for the help.

There is a hidden security screw under the corner of the keyboard directly under the "Fn" key. If you look closely to the left of the Shift and Fn kets you can see a gap between the keyboard edge and the case edge. Once you have the other screws removed you should be able to gently pry up the edge of the keyboard with a flat screw driver (or butter knife), slip in a small phillips head screw driver, and loosen the hidden screw. I discovered this a few months ago by trial and error.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
" I have a Gateway Portable SOLO 5300. I need to get the case off and I am having problems with one spot. Right above the phone modem port I can't seem to get it loose. I can't see any clip right around that area.

Thanks in advance for the help."

Thanks Manleyj,

I took a look and did find that screw. I'm definitly going to remember this for next time. Thanks again.

There is a hidden security screw under the corner of the keyboard directly under the "Fn" key. If you look closely to the left of the Shift and Fn kets you can see a gap between the keyboard edge and the case edge. Once you have the other screws removed you should be able to gently pry up the edge of the keyboard with a flat screw driver (or butter knife), slip in a small phillips head screw driver, and loosen the hidden screw. I discovered this a few months ago by trial and error.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
" I have a Gateway Portable SOLO 5300. I need to get the case off and I am having problems with one spot. Right above the phone modem port I can't seem to get it loose. I can't see any clip right around that area.

Thanks in advance for the help."

manleyj,
Perhaps you could guide me in the reassembly of my SOLO 5300. I replaced the broken LCD and now have forgotten how the LCD Lid and all fits back to the main unit. Tell me does the LCD side brackets fasten under the hinges or what. I am really confused and now know my digital camera should have been used.

if you look at the bottom of the keyboard on the left and right you will see 2 release points under the ALT key on the left and the Ctrl key on the right with a small flat tip press tab and pry up keyboard and you will see your last screw to remove on the left by the modem jack

I'll try this.

I'll try this.

make sure you remove all the keyboard screws on the bottom first

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.