hi

my laptop keeps shutting down automatically.
its not necessarily a heating issue because its generally lukewarm when it shuts down on its own.
what happens is that I run a few programs at the same time and hear this growling revviing of my cpu fan and it shuts down seconds later.

hp dv5 windows 7 5 yrs old.

looking forard to your help

thanks

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hello,

Based on your comments I would say it is heat related. I have had a few HP laptops over the last decade (Compaq and HP have always made a quality product) and what has probably happened is the heat sync on top of the processor is clogged with dust. You can buy a can of compressed air just about anywhere now a days and I suggest that you blow out the dust (with the computer off or you risk burning out the fan motor) through the vents on the back and sides (sometimes bottom also). Blow it out from both directions and I will bet you see some improvement.

would a usb fan help ??

virus is there in your pc, it will happend like this.so try to conform about the virus on your computer

Wouldn't be a virus! What he said he is running programs at the same time putting pressure on the CPU and eventually shutting down the pc because there are too many things running at once

Hi!
there are could be 2 problems: with power supplier or heating system
Tell me how lond do you use your laptop? Did you clean it from dust? Do you change thermal compound after buying your laptop?
And also answer for your question: USB fan will not help yoг if the problem connects with power supplier

He said it was a revving noise coming from the CPU i wonder if the CPU is stuffed

Does you see any Blue window when your Laptop is shutdown

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.