Hi all,

Kimangel is here, would like ask your help on my laptop problem.

My acer laptop shutdown automatically, sometimes in just seconds, minutes, or hours. I already clean up the cpu fan, and the motherboard. The cpu fan stops after a second when turn on, that is on Bios setup the SATA mode AHCI is selected (thats the default setting) but when I change it to IDE the cpu fan is working and never stop for a long time. But the problem is on IDE setting the OS cant be loaded. And when I change to AHCI setting the OS is working but the fan stops after a second and a minute, or an hour after it will shutdown. My OS is windows 7. Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks,

Kimangel

hithirdwavedust commented: Thanks for providing so much information. You have already put effort into troubleshooting your proplem. You make it easier for everybody to help you! +0

Most computers will shutdown immediately if the cpu fan freezes. I can't say for certain what your problem is, but my guess is that the fan bearing is in bad shape.

You can try a program like SpeedFan to give you readings on how fast your fan is running, but that doesn't seem necessary. If your fan stops while your computer is on (not sleeping, hibernating or shut down) your computer will shut dow very soon afterward. This is because the computer is designed to listen to the hardware sensors, and if certain messages, like the fan not spinning, not plugged in, or the cpu is overheated, it immediately shuts down. This prevents further damage to your motherboard, cpu, gpu, etc.

You can buy a new fan for your cpu. It's not always easy to find the correct one, but it's not always difficult either. Installation does take a while but it's easier than you might think, or you can find someone like me to install it for you.

Here are instructions for rebuilding your fan. These instructions are not for the faint of heart. I cannot be held accountable for what you do to your computer. Proceed at your own risk! This method of repair usually will not return a heavily damaged fan to it's new condition, but it will get it running well enough to use the computer, especially if you're not using it for intense gaming. (or in a very hot environment)

If you are comfortable with disassembling your laptop, remove the cpu fan from the motherboard. There is usually a lable on the fan. When you remove the lable, there is usually a small round plastic disc underneath it. With a small knife or a tiny flat-head screwdriver you can pry out that plastic cover. Underneath that usually there is a bunch of dirt, grime and perhaps a few little washers. Scrape out the grime, remove the washers. There will be a plastic ring that holds the fan axle in place. Carefully pry that off with a tiny screwdriver or tweezers. Then remove the fan. Clean off the fan axle and the inside of the fan assembly. Remove all of the old grease. There may be a cylindrical sleeve of plastic that fits around the axle. If there is, clean that too.

Then get some new lubricant. (I usually use lithium grease)
Get some lubricant on the axle and inside the fan motor's axle housing. If there was a plastic cylindrical sleeve on the axle, put it back on the axle and check to see if it turns freely. If it doesn't then it has been excessively overheated. You can try to get it to work again, but in my experience if the fan has been overheated to the point that it no longer functions, the sleeve no longer fits correctly in diameter (too narrow from compression and heat damage) or in length (too short from friction and heat damage). Many laptop fans do not have this plastic sleeve. If it's not there, don't worry. If there is a plastic sleeve on your fan and it still spins on the axle freely, don't throw it away, it still works fine. If the plastic sleeve grips onto the fan's axle, it is trashed and your fan will not work well (though it will work extra hard and make a lot of extra heat) if you keep it. (this means that your fan's bearing is being converted form a 'plain bearing' to a 'fluid bearing'. The fan will not run as fast as it did when it was new, but it will work well enough for you to use your computer)

Reassemble your parts, and if you can, plug everything back in and boot your laptop BEFORE you screw everything back together. This is possible to varying degrees depending on the laptop you are working on. I do this in case something has not been connected properly, or I forgot to plug the power button back in etc. (oops.)

I hope this helps!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.