i had some problems, suspected that cooling was a factor. so I got the Speedfan software, and all but one of the labels for the temperature readings were foreign to me, except the one labelled 'HD0 (250.1 GB)'. this is also the only reading I get that is consistently high
it says 74* C and through some boring watching, I can see it rise almost immediately upon startup.

i recently cleaned my heatsink on my processor, and the power supply was replaced in the last 6 months. I opened my case, then closed my case. Always the same result: hard drive temp is going up without remorse. so i borrow a friend's desk fan, really noisy of course, and hence annoying. when i got the fan i had been running my computer for like 4 hours. I try pointing it at the hard drive, and the temp jumps a degree, rising steadily. i point it back towards my processor a little, and the temp stops going up. i then move it all the way to the back of the case. in 15 minutes it went from 74* C to 58*C.

Whats causing my abnormally high temps for my hard drive? and why does the temp drop when the fan is farther from my hard drive? what other cooling solutions are suggested, which will free my office from this noisy hi-performance desk fan that is almost all the way inside my open-case tower

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

Maybe its a airflow problem. Or seeing how the temp steadied when pointed at the CPU that could be helping to heating up your HDD.

Fan # 1 should be the cpu fan ,i can't imagin how it would know the actual harddrive temp,i know mine is not connected to any temp sensor on the motherboard or else where and as far as i know there is no sensor in the drive itself , .this program only list temp of items connected to sencors on the motherboard

Perhaps trying to cool your own hard drive or CPU is not the best idea; maybe you could instead try to contact tech support, or if you don't want to buy a new fan, try to fix your old one, for I know for a fact ALL CPU's come with one installed(aka, inside your computer's hard drive).

Perhaps trying to cool your own hard drive or CPU is not the best idea; maybe you could instead try to contact tech support, or if you don't want to buy a new fan, try to fix your old one, for I know for a fact ALL CPU's come with one installed(aka, inside your computer's hard drive).

It seems a lot of people call the computer tower a harddrive ,when in fact its just that a computer tower/case ,and inside you find a lot of things one of them being a harddrive disk .like this .
http://www.harddrive.com/
and having taking apart a lot of harddrives I can assure you there is no fan inside one .but yes there are fans in the computer tower/case.and the ones that are plugged directly into the motherboard will be monitored .

Fan # 1 should be the cpu fan ,i can't imagin how it would know the actual harddrive temp

well i have 5 sensors - the chips for each temperature reading are

three are the same - 'IT8712F'
one is 'ACPI'
and the hot one is 'HD0 (250.1 GB)'

NOTE: my hard drive is a 250 GB drive also, so it doesnt take rocket science to figure out that this is related to my hard drive somehow.

Anyways, I cant get the shit to drop any further, and none of my fans are broken. also, like i said - my heatsink on my processor is clean and working properly. I am starting to think its reading an incorrect temperature. cuz 72 celsius, thats WAY over the normal limit before you fry circuits. so if it had been that high wouldnt i be talking to you all on a fried computer? :-|

It seems a lot of people call the computer tower a harddrive ,when in fact its just that a computer tower/case ,and inside you find a lot of things one of them being a harddrive disk .like this .
http://www.harddrive.com/
and having taking apart a lot of harddrives I can assure you there is no fan inside one .but yes there are fans in the computer tower/case.and the ones that are plugged directly into the motherboard will be monitored .

yes I agree with this guy, please use the correct words/proofread your posts and/or know what you are talking about.

also I dont think there is a fan in my harddrive, ive worked with them enough to know that mine doesnt have one, and ive never heard of a hardrive having one in the first place. anyways, do you think im just getting an incorrect reading from the sensor? cuz 72 degrees Celsius seems impossible, considering I should just about have a fire going on at that point

yes I agree with this guy, please use the correct words/proofread your posts and/or know what you are talking about.

also I dont think there is a fan in my harddrive, ive worked with them enough to know that mine doesnt have one, and ive never heard of a hardrive having one in the first place. anyways, do you think im just getting an incorrect reading from the sensor? cuz 72 degrees Celsius seems impossible, considering I should just about have a fire going on at that point

yes that is high for sure ,if you have 5 sensors on the motherboard then i would think you should be checking it with the software that may have came with the board,may be on motherboard disk , or in the BIOS, boot computer check it with speedfan ,if its showing high, reboot computer and go into setup/bios and check in the pc health section or hardware monitor section,for temps of all the sensors/ .

I installed the software on 2 computer and it does show hdd temps one is 31c anf the other is 32c,

edit: i just check my bios, hardware monitor section and the 31 c was motherboard temp.there was no temp section that was for hdd.in mine anyway .this maybe the reason you get lower temp when pointing the fan at the cpu or other end of computer because its cooling the motherboard .so the 72 may not be the hdd,anyway what ever it is it is HOT!

commented: took time to install the software i was using to ensure it wasnt faulty, and provided knowledgable responses +1

yes that is high for sure ,if you have 5 sensors on the motherboard then i would think you should be checking it with the software that may have came with the board,may be on motherboard disk , or in the BIOS, boot computer check it with speedfan ,if its showing high, reboot computer and go into setup/bios and check in the pc health section or hardware monitor section,for temps of all the sensors

i probably should have stated this upfront. back when i first checked the temp i monitored it from the BIOS. the temps in speedfan are accurate, or very close to those from the BIOS. it rises so quickly I can never tell exactly how much the margin of error is.

anyways. i need to get to the root of it, by maybe testing the temp with another source, at the same point as the sensor goes to. is there a way to do that? first i need to locate the sensor's reading point, and then get something to measure it with that is accurate. i just hope its not reading the inside of a chip or something....cuz then not only will i not be able to test it, it is the inside of my mobo's chip!!!!! :eek:

had a system shutdown today. not sure if its related, because while my RAID drivers were not enabled, i dont have a RAID config. and thanks Caper, i thought of this but i wasnt sure if i could use something like that to accurately test a computer's chips. ill have to give it a whirl.

anyone have an idea how to tell where the sensors are? i checked my mobo manual and didnt see anything about temperature sensor locations..so maybe someone has experience with this and can tell me if there is a way to trace it

manual is here online: http://www.ecs.com.tw/ECSWeb/Downloads/ProductsDetail_Download.aspx?DetailID=516&DetailName=Manual&DetailDesc=PF88(V1.1)&MenuID=35&LanID=9

the temps in speedfan are accurate, or very close to those from the BIOS.

i rechecked, and oddly enough, the temps in the BIOS arent showing the high temp. speedfan showed 65 degrees C after some lengthy use without the external deskfan. there were also some that were at ~45 C. and so i restarted and went straight to the BIOS. the sensors read 45 and 44, and theres only two shown. So...perhaps I was mistaken about checkin it because it wouldnt have changed :rolleyes: oopie.:sad:

cpu sensor is under the chip itself ,on the motherboard .
fans that plug into the 3 prong plugs right on the motherboard are then connected to the boards heat sensors and will be monitored by the bios.
trust the bios reading over that other piece of software .

page 20 of the manual ,shows the chip connection/plug into the board and its in there that the sensor would be.

yea i do trust the BIOS over this program. and if there was an important sensor needed to be read from, it would be listed in the BIOS before some fan speed adjuster program. the BIOS temps both read normal. so I am not so worried about it now. thanks, caper. i took the extra desk fan outta there. as long as i dont get another restart i think this is handled (I did have the auto shutdown enabled to protect my system, and a warning buzzer also for when its five degrees from overheat)

yea i do trust the BIOS over this program. and if there was an important sensor needed to be read from, it would be listed in the BIOS before some fan speed adjuster program. the BIOS temps both read normal. so I am not so worried about it now. thanks, caper. i took the extra desk fan outta there. as long as i dont get another restart i think this is handled (I did have the auto shutdown enabled to protect my system, and a warning buzzer also for when its five degrees from overheat)

your welcome ,,i went to the s.m.a.r.t section and click on my hdd and it gives you the option of doing a online analysis of the hdd ,does a fitness and performance test ,says mine is all right

o guess what? something (actually three things!!) just popped off my mobo...its the heatsink to my Legacy controller, a bar that crossed over the heatsink, and jumper like piece that was embedded in the mobo about 3 inches away from the heatsink. the mobo is being sent back for a return, which they authorized. but looking at it, its sealant is just completely melted. it just overheated, and popped off! wow is all i have to say. the fan (at this point, the comp wont run for 5 minutes without it) is back under there to keep it cool while i wait for the appropriate time to RMA it (after the new year), and i just have to wonder: was my reasoning so dumb? i mean shit, the 3rd party prog was right! and my BIOS wrong! and my mobo is CRAP apparently :sad:

ECS Elitegroup I hate you

ECS Elitegroup, is a buget board! gets a good -- from me.

do you have the WD 250GB , because people everywhere in forums arew talking about it
it gives you temp higher then 70*C and there is nothing you can do about it
the sensors on it are borken or something
i have read this kind of problem like 5 times in different websites
if you dont have the WD one then here is what you do
run you PC fopr like and hour and if it reaches temp higher then 70*C just turn it of quickly , open the case and Feel the HDD and if its not hot at all or is about like 42*C hot liekl it should be then its fine
42*C is the same as having the flu

do you have the WD 250GB , because people everywhere in forums arew talking about it
it gives you temp higher then 70*C and there is nothing you can do about it
the sensors on it are borken or something
i have read this kind of problem like 5 times in different websites
if you dont have the WD one then here is what you do
run you PC fopr like and hour and if it reaches temp higher then 70*C just turn it of quickly , open the case and Feel the HDD and if its not hot at all or is about like 42*C hot liekl it should be then its fine
42*C is the same as having the flu

Yea I have a Western Digital 250 GB Hard Drive.

However, the piece that fell off is actually my Legacy controller's heatsink (from my mobo). So I dont know what the hell that WD 250GB sensor does for sure - but I dont think its hard drive monitoring. My hard drive wouldnt get hot, and then that piece from my mobo melted off. Also my heatsink has seperated from my intel chip too; noticed that today as I disassembled the computer for mobo return.

Also my heatsink has separated from my intel chip too; .

most likely the cause of your problem ,as the heatsync and cpu should always be in direct contact ,with a coating of thermal paste in between,

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.