I have looked at quite a few forums to see if someone else had my problem and i can't seem to find one. My computer is custom built and is quite new. A few months ago i was playing The Suffering on my computer, I had to walk out of the room for a few minutes and the electricity flickered on and off for a second. When I went back into the room my computer was off and would not turn back on. So I reset the power switch on the back of the power supply and it came back on. When I went to go play a game, no matter which one it was, the computer would shut off as if someone unplugged it. I have'nt been able to play ANY games since then without it turning off. I tried many things to find out the problem. I tried taking off the side of the case to see if it was over heating, for a while i thought that was it but it still shuts off. I changed my power supply, still did it; changed the video card, still did it; I even put in 2 extra fans and replaced my old ones with new ones so i have 5 fans excluding the CPU fan and Power supply fan. I am currently trying to see if it is my RAM. I am running out of ideas and I want to be sure if i cannot fix the problem before I change my motherboard out. My pc specs are at the bottom if yall need info. on that. Thank you for reading, I hope yall can help me out.

DDR2 1g RAM chip
ATI 9800 Radeon 256 mb video card
AMD Athlon 64bit 3500+
MSI MoBo
450w power supply
CD burner
80G HDD

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi,
it's hard to tell on a distant what is problem with your PC but if you want try to take all the parts and place it on another MB to see if the problem is MB.And if you can't find another MB this signs leading me to overheating CPU.Have you try before to overclock yor PC?

I have never overclocked my PC, but I have come to the conclusion that it was my MB. A friend of mine had the same exact model MB as I had, and he recently purchased a new MB. So he gave me his old one (same model as mine) and I switched them out. My PC has never turned off since then. But over a period of time I have done the same things you have said, that is how I know it was the MB. Thank you very much for the advice too. We think alike.

Hi,
I'm glad that this helped you but it's killing me why MB isn't working propertly.You say that everything starts ok but when you start a game your pc is shutting down.Something must be overheating.That is insane that I will ask you to do beacouse your PC starts but try to see if the condensers are ok if you know what I'm saying or in bios see if the volts are ok.

Well, I think the MB is bad period because I had my PC on when it was raining, and the lights flickered on and off for a few seconds because of lightning that struck. Over a period since the summer I have been troubleshooting every peripheral to try and figure out what the problem was down to power supplies to video cards and so on. But since my friend had a spare MB that was the same model I swapped them out and my PC works fine now.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.