hello. i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why my laptop fan runs nonstop after startup. it usually takes a few minutes after starting it up, and then it continously runs until i get irritated and shut it down. also, the bottom of my laptop gets VERY hot. to the point where i cant even touch it, and i am scared to leave it on because it gets SOO hot! the keys also get pretty hot, but no where near as hot as the bottom of the laptop. its only a year old, so i dont know what could be wrong with it. i havent even really used it but a handful of times in the past several months and thats because it gets too hot and i dont know whats wrong with the fan.

i just downloaded hijack this, if anyone can help me out, i will post the log.

thankyou sooo much in advance!!!! --- danielle

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

well, the fan is running because the cpu or something else is getting really really hot. the fan is not your problem, it's trying to do it's job. what kind of laptop? what cpu? os?

Hello, As the first reply said, the fans are trying to cool the CPU. You have to have good airflow to get good cooling. Here are some checks thoughts:
1) Are you sitting the laptop on a soft surface that can block the cooling ports? blanket, table with a table cloth, bed, lap?
2) Is the cooling areas blocked with dust? Use compressed air to blow all the ports, fins, crevices out. If you can figure out the air flow, blow the dust out in the opposite direction.
3) Try one of those laptop cooling pads.
4) You may have more then one fan inside and one is not working.
bmadams

i have a emachines [gateway supported] model# mx4625. the os is windows xp. when i alt-control-delete; sometimes it shows my cpu as 100% and then rapidly jumps down to 0% and then goes up to like 2%.

Hello, As the first reply said, the fans are trying to cool the CPU. You have to have good airflow to get good cooling. Here are some checks thoughts:
1) Are you sitting the laptop on a soft surface that can block the cooling ports? blanket, table with a table cloth, bed, lap?
2) Is the cooling areas blocked with dust? Use compressed air to blow all the ports, fins, crevices out. If you can figure out the air flow, blow the dust out in the opposite direction.
3) Try one of those laptop cooling pads.
4) You may have more then one fan inside and one is not working.
bmadams

i usually have it sitting on my bed, or on my lap. what brand cooling pad would you recommend?? i figure i could start with trying a cool pad, because i am not sure how to check to see if the cooling areas are blocked with dust. thankyou soo much for both of your responses =] -danielle

i have a emachines [gateway supported] model# mx4625. the os is windows xp. when i alt-control-delete; sometimes it shows my cpu as 100% and then rapidly jumps down to 0% and then goes up to like 2%.

doesn't mean its not getting hot just because its not overloaded ,can of compressed air ,blow out the fan /heatsinc from the outside best you can ,might help i have laptop here that gets so hot the video goes crazy,blaptop freezes but its neither the fan bot the cpu ,so there is other things that cause heat buildup also

doesn't mean its not getting hot just because its not overloaded ,can of compressed air ,blow out the fan /heatsinc from the outside best you can ,might help i have laptop here that gets so hot the video goes crazy,blaptop freezes but its neither the fan bot the cpu ,so there is other things that cause heat buildup also

thankyou caperjack. so i should just try and can of compressed air, and hopefully that helps!! i will pick up a can, and let you know how that goes!! thankyouuuu!!!

okay, i have another question.. i'm not sure if you know anything about adding memory cards. but i wanted to add some more memory to my laptop.. this is what the gateway website said about the memory on my specific laptop.. my question is how much more can i add, and what kind? brand? all that good stuff.

512 MB DDR (1 × 512 MB) SODIMM (PC2700)
Expandable to 2 GB
Total: 2 DDR Slots | Available: 1 DDR Slot

thankyouuuu!!! -danielle

left in the middle of an edit ,to continue ,or 2 512 sticks for total of 1gb,how much ram in computer now

caperjack.. i went to www.crucial.com and this is what my system scanner results came up with..

Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096 MB
Currently Installed Memory: 512 MB
Available Memory Slots: 1
Number of Banks: 2
Dual Channel Support: N.A.
CPU Manufacturer: AuthenticAMD
CPU Family: Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3100+ Model 12, Stepping 2
CPU Speed: 1790 MHz

yeah ,like i said that ram should work ,get another 512 for 1 gb ,will make nice difference but you still have heating problem to work out ,before i would spend any money .

yeah ,like i said that ram should work ,get another 512 for 1 gb ,will make nice difference but you still have heating problem to work out ,before i would spend any money .

i am going to get a can of compressed air and see if that works. i will let you know the results. thankyou soo much - danielle

try the cool pad too, i have one for my laptop. it's an antec ($20 best buy) and it works fine. you can find cool pads anywhere laptops are sold.

try the cool pad too, i have one for my laptop. it's an antec ($20 best buy) and it works fine. you can find cool pads anywhere laptops are sold.

i was just looking at the antec cooling pads on the bestbuy.com website, and theyre are a couple that come up when i search antec. and they look totally different from one another. which one would you recommend? or a link to any website would be totally awesome, if and when you have a spare minute of course. =]

and thankyou again!!!!! -danielle

Yea I have the same thing here...I jot a cool plate powered buy the putter through an sub port...Uses two fan'skeep's it nice and cool...Air flow is your problem...You get air flow and you will cool off....Also the Battery have been knowen to get very hot, Some manuf, have recalled some... Sony and some other brand's have had the battery exploed do to the heat from the battery...
Good Luck BuddyThoug
:)

hello. i was wondering if anyone could help me figure out why my laptop fan runs nonstop after startup. it usually takes a few minutes after starting it up, and then it continously runs until i get irritated and shut it down. also, the bottom of my laptop gets VERY hot. to the point where i cant even touch it, and i am scared to leave it on because it gets SOO hot! the keys also get pretty hot, but no where near as hot as the bottom of the laptop. its only a year old, so i dont know what could be wrong with it. i havent even really used it but a handful of times in the past several months and thats because it gets too hot and i dont know whats wrong with the fan.

i just downloaded hijack this, if anyone can help me out, i will post the log.

thankyou sooo much in advance!!!! --- danielle

My HP G60 got up to 212f without shutting down.

It really pisses me off, it starts running like crap...

Who makes a laptop you have to keep on a flat surface anyway? "Laptop" not table without cloth top...

HP G60 - I hate it

Some laptops use a heatsink with a liquid inside of a hollow tube that helps to transfer the heat away from the CPU. If the tube springs a leak, the liquid will evaporate out and there will be reduced efficiency of the heatsink to take the heat away from the CPU, and the fans will run constantly and the laptop will feel quite hot. An overheating problem cause by this type of failure is sometimes difficult to find because the heatsink and everything looks fine, and all of the parts work fine when installed into another computer. It could be that the actual heatsink itself has lost its cooling liquid and is not efficiently removing heat from the CPU anymore.

very great thread, i can get a lot from it .

My HP G60 got up to 212f without shutting down.

It really pisses me off, it starts running like crap...

Who makes a laptop you have to keep on a flat surface anyway? "Laptop" not table without cloth top...

HP G60 - I hate it[/QUOTE/]

This is classic!

My gateway battery doesn't seem to charge.....always stays on 9%........Should I get a new battery......or is there a setting I need to change?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.