Today (the 18th) is my last day to decide what i want... a CRT or a LCD.

The MINIMUM is a 17" LCD with 400:1 contrast ($800 ABSOLUTE max, i'm already bending it) or a 19" CRT ($350 max, umm, about)

For a 17" LCD, the main contender is:

http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1272066989.1014010445@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadcegfjdlimcfejceefdfggdhgm.0&prod_id=171B
My personal fav, first, it's one of the more cheaper LCD's (700 bux @ www.dell.com , thx tek 4 da link 2 dell's sale). And it looks absolutely GORGEOUS!

For the 19" CRT, the main contender is:
http://www.samsungusa.com/cgi-bin/nabc/product/b2c_product_detail.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1272066989.1014010445@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadcegfjdlimcfejceefdfggdhgm.0&prod_id=955df
I think it looks pretty good and i like the flat part.

Any opinions? or any other monitors you think i will like (must be 800 or below for lcd, and 350 or below for CRT, look above)? PLZ... reply with your opinions. I will be 100% purchasing it today if i get da crt i chose above or the 171b. If it's any other monitor, i will probably order it soon (i want to get it before the 10th of march, my dad goes on business trip and i'm left wit my crap monitor). The 171b is out of stock @ www.dell.com , so i'm going to call later today (when there are operators there) to ask when they should have it back in stock. But i will probably be ordering it soon!

Tek... no, the 19" LCD is too much, damn! 19"!!!

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

None of the links work. It says we've been inactive and timed out of the site.

commented: Excellent point. +6

Wow AlPha... I gotta hand it to you this time. This is one of those disputed rivals that you could try to solve for hours upon hours and never come up with a conclusion. I know you've been looking at the contrast ratios, which is a good start, but realize there are other aspects to a good LCD. I think, for now, its best to stay with the tried and true CRT. 85hz refresh rates, and a resolution that is potentially over 1280x1024. If you still are dying to get one of those thin cool monitors, check out my good old friend's website, Tom's Hardware. This is the article you should look at... http://www.tomshardware.com/display/02q1/020114/index.html#the_samsung_saga_updated. Happy shopping!

They got a review of a samsung? I thought samsung said they didn't think tomshardware was a good source of computer reviews and stuff, so they didn't send them any monitors.

FYI... i already read the article, like a couple of months ago when it came out.

I'm coming close to my deadline! And i'm thinking of going for the LCD, a lil more (won't get as much in my tower), but hell worth the price!

I have two PCs in my room right now. My Windows box has an 18.1" Sony LCD, and my Linux box has a 21" Sony flatscreen CRT (ya know, one of those CRTs with TrueFlat technology or whatever the hell they call it now.)

In any case, I would go for the CRT. My LCD is cool and everything, but let me just tell you that the only reason I have it is because a regular size monitor can't even possibly fit on my desk. (My 21" is on a smaller desk on the other side of the room.)

No matter who tries to tell you otherwise, the quality of LCDs doesn't even COMPARE to that of the good ol' regular monitor. The colors are always off and awkward, and the monitor's life expectancy is shorter too.

Plus, you could get such a better and bigger CRT monitor for one-third the price of a smaller LCD.

Also, LCDs always screw up DOS-mode. (e.g. the screen is always off-center). Also, years ago I used an ATI Rage 128 card, and I couldn't use video-out because each time I did, it screwed up the LCDs resolution.

Also, LCDs have what is called a native resolution. That means that they come "made" for a particular resolution, and any other resolution you choose will ALWAYS look like crap no matter what.

LCDs are much worse for gaming, too, because the refresh rate is always slower. Plus, cool DirectX games never look as realistic.

So far, I've worked off of a 15" CRT, a 15" LCD, and now my current 18" LCD and 21" CRT. I would definitely settle for the CRT.

Don't get me wrong ... I love my LCD ... but if I could use a CRT instead, I would!

I'm well aware about LCD's and CRT's. I'm currently using an LCD on my laptop (compaq), and have a crappy CRT on my desktop.

EVERY1 I TALK TO SAYS CRT'S ARE BETTER!! argh, makes it so much harder

Sony Trinitron or a Samsung Syncmaster, if i get a CRT?

OK OK... what about health wise? What's going to be the best for my eyes? That's the #1 factor (surpasses price).

Awe in amazement for as long as you want (jk)... or scream @ me 4 the rest of my miserable life ::) , but i ordered da 17" lcd, so sux 4 ya!

So ... do ya like your lcd? Do ya, do ya?

yah... coulda been bigger, like the 19" lcd for a 100 bux more that i could've gotten two weeks after i recieved my monitor!!

Hey Alpha, how's that LCD doing? I'm in the market for a new viewscreen quite made a decision as to the CRT v. LCD scenarios. A large LCD would fit quite nicely on my desk but a comparably sized+ CRT would fit much better in my bank acct. Also, any difference in eye-strain? TIA

LCDs actually have less eye strain than CRTs
also, they don't give off radiation like CRTs do

On the other hand, LCDs have much lower refresh rates
and graphics aren't as vibrant

Thank you. I'm a bit concerned about eye-strain so it looks like I might just be leaning more towards an LCD at this point. Thanks again.

lol....tek already knows about my LCD Monitor woes....but its only because my brother scratched my screen with a key....several times over....Otherwise, my NEC MultiSync LCD1700V (17") its a lot better than my 19" Dell CRT....but i use that too, occasionally

-Q

Wow the first post on DaniWeb the memories

LOL c'mon man, all I did was google "get a mac v1.0" this forum was the third one on the list. If you don't trust my instructions than look at the fifth one on the list. OR http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winvista/1228864954
That's where I found the fix.

i got the virus in a youtube video. (emberrasing) I looked up a video for "myspace cracker" downloaded the program, and there came the virus. ( i should have found it suspicious that Comments/ratings are disabled in the video.

So as I googled for "Get a mac v1.0" it was the first time I seen this forum, so I signed up for it as soon as I found a fix in the fifth link. Tried to help you but seems like you dont trust me lol.

LOL c'mon man, all I did was google "get a mac v1.0" this forum was the third one on the list. If you don't trust my instructions than look at the fifth one on the list. OR http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winvista/1228864954

i got the virus in a youtube video. (emberrasing) I looked up a video for "myspace cracker" downloaded the program, and there came the virus. ( i should have found it suspicious that Comments/ratings are disabled in the video.

So as I googled for "Get a mac v1.0" it was the first time I seen this forum, so I signed up for it as soon as I found a fix in the fifth link. Tried to help you but seems like you dont trust me lol.

WOOOOPS sorry, wrong thread :D

where do you want it moved to. i can merge it into the correct thread or just delete it

lol... no links on this page work...

Health wise= CRT picture and color wise=CRT the best looking wise= CRT!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.