I know that refresh rates are not supposed to apply to LCD monitors, but there is still an setting that allows me to set it in Windows' options. This setting does seem to have some effect, but since LCD's don't really refresh, I am wondering what the setting is doing. Is it perhaps adjusting the rate at which my computer is sending update information to the display? If so, why can't I just set it to really high (i.e. higher than 75Hz)? My computer should be powerful enough to send update information a lot faster.

Also, I was wondering about the relation between 'refresh rate' and response time. I have one LCD monitor with a response time of 25ms, which means (I think) that it should only be able to update at 40Hz, but for this monitor the listed refresh rates are also 60 and 75Hz. What happens to the displayed image when the refresh rate is higher than what the response time suggests that the monitor is capable of?

Thanks for your time!

Hello

Just to let you know I believe refresh rates do apply to LCD monitors.

It's not how fast your computer can generate the picture it is what the monitor can handle and what is worthwhile; meaning can the human eye tell the difference.

The response rate is how fast a monitor can react to change, the screen is refreshed regardless of any changes made.

Your computer graphics card will generate frames. These frames may add upto 100 Frames Per Second but if the monitor is operating at 50 hz only 50 frames would be displayed.

Check out Fraps this will tell you how many frames are being generated.

- Hope this explains some.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.