Ok I don't know whether I need a new monitor or a new cable or something else is stuffed up here.

When I turn my (old) computer on (that i recently set back up), it usually gets to the login screen (it's only using Windows ME, will upgrade to XP once I am able to work it properly) and the monitor will turn off, and it makes the same noise when you push the button in to turn it on continuously and the light flashes.

Also, when I turn the monitor off then back on, only sometimes it displays and when it does it firstly displays fine then it slowly starts getting some small, scrolling, black lines then eventually turns off and creates the noise/flashing light.

Xplozive :D

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Ok I don't know whether I need a new monitor or a new cable or something else is stuffed up here.

When I turn my (old) computer on (that i recently set back up), it usually gets to the login screen (it's only using Windows ME, will upgrade to XP once I am able to work it properly) and the monitor will turn off, and it makes the same noise when you push the button in to turn it on continuously and the light flashes.

Also, when I turn the monitor off then back on, only sometimes it displays and when it does it firstly displays fine then it slowly starts getting some small, scrolling, black lines then eventually turns off and creates the noise/flashing light.

Were you able to resolve this issue? I am facing a similar issue where the monitor just turns off. The timing when it turns off is fairly random - sometimes on startup, and other times it is on for hours before it turns off. I double checked to make sure the power settings was turning the monitor off.

heat can somethimes be the culprit
if you have it backed up against the wall, try moving it foward to encourage airflow
I once had a monitor with similar symptoms and only by hitting it would i get my picture back, then i realized it was the heat. So i put a fan on it, that helped but the monitor did die a few months after.
so be ready to spend the bills

Yeah, it sounds like it is about to blow. (Maybe litterally). I had to go replace one like that over the summer. It actually started to burn inside and went up in a bunch of smoke, nearly setting off the smoke alarm. Be careful that you don't let that one catch on fire!

EDIT: This was more meant for the first poster, but i didn't realize that someone brought back this thread from last year! Opps

Not sure what monitor this is, but the normal cause is either a faulty de-sub cable, or worst case broken motherboard.

If by moving the monitor on its stand backwards and forwards, or applying pressure simulates the fault condition, then I would say you have a brake on the main board around where the stand connects to the base of the monitor.

This is a common fault with monitors which use a metal base instead of plastic. Seems like they are better made but it's not. With it being a metal base, if you place the monitor down after moving a little hard, the metal bends and splits the board, where as plastic is allot more forgiving.

Yeah, it sounds like it is about to blow. (Maybe litterally). I had to go replace one like that over the summer. It actually started to burn inside and went up in a bunch of smoke, nearly setting off the smoke alarm. Be careful that you don't let that one catch on fire!

EDIT: This was more meant for the first poster, but i didn't realize that someone brought back this thread from last year! Opps

You fault would have beena dry joint around the input power connector, or deguss varister. Again, a quick re-solder would have solved it.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.