I am working on a friend's computer. They have an Acer Aspire M5640 desktop with Windows Vista Home Premium. They initially called and told me the system would not boot. When I took a look they turned it on and the monitor said "no signal." There is no splash screen and I cannot even see the POST.
I brought it home and tried it with one of my monitors. Same thing; nothing showed up on the screen. The blue power light turns on and the case and power supply fans work when you push the power button. I opened up the case and removed the RAM and disconnected and then reconnected all cables. I tried it again and still no luck.
Has anyone else encountered this? Should I try to install a new graphics card in case the onboard graphics card has gone bad, or could it be the MOBO?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Same thing nothing showed up on the screen. The blue power light turns on and the case and power supply fans work when you push the power button. I opened up the case and removed the RAM and disconnected and then reconnected all cables. I also cleaned the motherboard, processor and I tried it again and still no luck.what will i do?

REMOVE YOUR POWER CORD AND HOLD THE ON BUTTON FOR LIKE 30second TO A MINUTE AND THEN CONNECT IT BACK AND TURN IT ON

Term Papers

Hi All
Just faced the same problem with my 2yr old M5640. Power up but no POST. Tried the 'REMOVE YOUR POWER CORD AND HOLD THE ON BUTTON FOR LIKE 30second TO A MINUTE AND THEN CONNECT IT BACK AND TURN IT ON' but not luck. BTW what does that do?
Anyone figure out whats wrong and how to get it boot, at least to POST.

Take out the video card(if any) and attach the display connector to the onboard graphics chip's port.

i tried remove the power cord and nothing..

please add me, djmbraz@hotmail.com
i need to fix it fast and in 1 week i dont found the solution in any forum
help me :s

thx

I have the same problem and I tried all from the above. Still no luck. Have anybody fixed their computer

I have an old HP media center 2005. I added a graphics card 2 years ago. Today I get no signal to monitor. I disconnected my video card and connected the monitor to my video chip which came with the computer. The monitor is working fine. It looks like a bad video card for me.

It's a faulty integrated graphics card. Unfortunately the Acer M5640 model is notorious for it and Acer won't do anyhting about it outside of your warranty. I had to replace my motherboard.

Sorry. :(

I just recently joined the masses with this bogus integrated graphics card. A techie friend suggested installing a PCI Express graphics card with the hopes of bypassing the faulty card on board. Has anyone tried this and did it work?

Thanks!

I also Tried to replace the graphics card myself and it worked and then it stop working????? Anyone got any advice on this?

Can you create a new thread and give us more details about your problem. And please stop using that much question marks it irritates me.

The answer posted by Orten999, i.e. reinitialising the computer by pressing the ON button, without the power cord plugged in, for 30-60', worked for me. I thought I was going to have to put a new computer back in the box and take it back to after sales... The machine is not a M5640 but a X1430 desktop computer by the way.
THANKS. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.