ok, my friend gave me a laptop to try and work on, as im decently good at fixing computers(desktops :-/ ), the screen is so dim that you can barely see it, so, first solution i think of, replace the inverter card, so i go and buy a new inverter, but it still doesnt work, so we decide to go online and buy a new screen from ebay, get it, its in good condition, looks nice, partially put the laptop together, about enough to turn it on, turn it on, and it works! finally, whew, then I go and fully re-assemble the laptop, turn it on again, and its all of a sudden dim again. video works alright if you tell it to go to a external monitor, and this is happening in bios, boot everything, so not a windows problem, and i tried raising the brightness up ;) , it worked fine that first time i turned it on, please let me know if you have any suggestions or thoughts, its really making me frustrated, its a IBM Thinkpad 2647-31U,

Thanks in advance!

-larry

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Hi larry,
Maybe some bad news :cry:
From what you describe..About the only thing left is the onboard video circuit. You need to get it checked out.
Hope this helps
RGPHNX

Hi larry,
Maybe some bad news :cry:
From what you describe..About the only thing left is the onboard video circuit. You need to get it checked out.
Hope this helps
RGPHNX

Hi, thanks for the response, when i plug a external monitor into the jack in the back, i can see the video displayed fine, does this mean that the video card works fine? If not where would I have to go to get somthing like that checked out? Thanks!

Hi, thanks for the response, when i plug a external monitor into the jack in the back, i can see the video displayed fine, does this mean that the video card works fine? If not where would I have to go to get somthing like that checked out? Thanks!

hi larry.

theres a possibility that a connection between the graphics chip and the monitor may have come loose or there maybe a slight wiring problem:-|

iv tried reseating wireing a few times, its only one plug from the mobo to the monitor, so kinda bizzare that it doesnt work

HI again ,
Since it works perfectly when the computer is disassembled BUT NOT when you re-assemble it.. then "something" is "loose". The first thing you need to check is the IDE cable where it connects to the MB. It usually does not have snap in/lock connectors and can easily come loose when you re-assemble the computer. It just slips partially out of the MB connector(it only needs to slip up/out a milimeter or two). You have to be somewhat of a contortionist to get a laptop re-assembled properly without this happening. You may have to re-assemble many times untill you get it "just right".
If that doesn't solve the problem..then.. it's the onboard video circuit (or chip..etc.) OR with some "weird" type of short/incompatibility..etc.
I'd bet it's the way you'r re-assembling it. Check that first.
Hope this helps
Good Luck
RGPHNX

agreed rgphnx. larry it does seem a little peculiar

thankx guys, iv tried removing the keyboard, "the connector is right bwloe there, and making sure it was tight, then powering on even w/o keyboard but no-joy, strange, if i bring it to a laptop repair place could they replace the 'short'/broken part or would they ahve to replace the whole mobo, thanks for al the help

Hi again Larry,
re:

then powering on even w/o keyboard

the keyboard has to be connected or the computer won't EVER power on. Try it all again.. this time with the keyboard connected AND the LCD display IDE cable connected to the MB..just not re-assembled to the laptop case/frame. If it works again (like it did before) .. then the LCD IDE cable IS DISCONECTING FROM THE MB WHEN YOU ATTEMPT TO RE-ASSEMBLE IT.
If it doesn't work (like it did before).. then something else on the MB is going bad/ messing up. ONLY way to tell is have a tech check it out. Can't speculate if MB is repairable or needs replacement. Sorry, no way to tell with out checking personally.
Hope this is clear.
GOOD LUCK :D
Post back & let us know what you find out.
RGPHNX

yeh, what i meant by disconnecting the keyboard is not fully putting it on, just putting the plug in, if you look at the laptop in person you can see all you ahve to do is lift up that keyboard and the plug is right there, so i put the keyboard on without really clipping it down, but it doesnt even touch the connector, it powers on, and i can see it on external monitor/barely on the lcd, must be a mobo problem, do you know of any places that will diagnose it? i know compusa does, but their ridiculously expensive and id rather give business to somone else. :-/

Hi larry,
You can check out small independent repair shops OR
maybe your local community college has a repair class that will spec it out for free.
Good Luck
RGPHNX

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.