Okay so a few weeks ago I started using my HDTV as one of my monitors on my GTX 285 graphics card. Then one morining I put the system to sleep woke up to turn it on. All of a sudden a fan (which I am almost 100% sure is the GPU's) is loud. I think it's spinning at 100%, the thing is it won't die down. The other problem is I have no monitor images. I mean I tried using just my 20" monitors, my tv, using both pots, only 1 screen, and I get nothing on them (I mean they are not recieving signal). Well this has happened a few more times sometimes out of sleep and then a few times on boot up. I have noticed that if I turn the computer off and unplug the power stip it's hooked to (for lightning storms) and try turning it back on it seems to do this (happened once for sure and twice if i recall right). I have learned that one way I could fix this was shut down the computer (force shut down). Then turn off the PSU, and unplug it. thenplug it back in and turn on the PSU and I am in business (i tested this one time when I did 3 restarts after force shut downs cause of no image)(also I am getting green lights on the videocard and all the other components seems to sart up fine)

BUt now their is anotehr problem. It did it again today from sleep so I forced shut it down did the whole PSU thing, and when I went to turn it on I had to hold the power button for a few seconds or else my computer would just abort the start up, all the case lights would go dead, ext. I have a 1000W PSU (Ultra) and have swapped it out with another model, after swapping it out i still did the power issue until I held the button, this is the only time it has done this.) All I can think is since the monitor didn't work I tried putting it back into sleep, then gave up and force shut it down, but the thing was when I finlly got it worksing it gave me a "resuming windows" instead of "starting windows" splash screen. I am confused I have no clue what to do.

Thanks in advance

If anyone sees this post and is curious, it was caused becuase I was shorting my motherboard. I had a wire that was touching my case and motherboard that was not designed to connect to my board (it was a cable for my case lights)

If anyone sees this post and is curious, it was caused becuase I was shorting my motherboard. I had a wire that was touching my case and motherboard that was not designed to connect to my board (it was a cable for my case lights)

How did that happen? the wire and all? very curious T.,

How did that happen? the wire and all? very curious T.,

I took my rig to a LAN party and was talking to some people, the one guy heard this and instantly knew the problem.

The cables I talk about that were shorting were used for some lights in the case. Well one of the spots I ran them were touching a piece of the motherboard as well as the case.

The guy told me that if a cable is touching the motherboard and part of the case that is not actully connected (like has a spot to plug in) to the motherboard, it will start causing a short.

That's why companies tell you to attach all the mounting screws on your case for a motherboard. That way the board doesn't risk touching the case itself. I was informed that those little mounts are actually insulated.

This all seemed to be the case cause the second I removed those wires ... all was good (however the damage had already been done and my motherboard was already worn down ... one surge protector flip later at another LAN party and my board was done ... granted I did catch the issue for along time so)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.