BACKGROUND INFO
The last few weeks I have been dual monitoring from my lcd monitor to my hdtv. LCD was connected via dvi and my tv via hdmi. To my knowledge, my pc has two graphic cards, both ATI Radeons. One I believe is on the mother board, ATI Radeon 4200HD series, and the other is in a PCI slot ATI Radeon 5600HD series. I THINK that when I had it dual monitored the tv was connected via 4200HD and LCD via 5600HD (could be wrong).

WHAT I DID
Everything was working fine (i was mainly just using the HDTV as my only monitor and main monitor). As you can guess I was gaming on the hdtv, but I was not satisfied with the slight lag I felt. So I looked at forums to see what I could do and they mostly said 1) change settings on tv to game mode, 2) turn off vsync on your graphics card.

So I did #1, but when I tried to do #2 I could not open my graphics cards “menu” aka CCC aka Catalyst Command Center. So I read up on why this might happen and they said I should uninstall drivers and reinstall the drivers, so I did this as well (with most current drivers from the AMD site, version 10.9) and still I could not get into the CCC. As I was reading more forums, they were saying the 10.8 version mainly has this problem. So what I did was I downloaded 10.7 (did not install yet) and uninstalled the new 10.9.

When I went to reboot the cpu after the uninstall of 10.9 there was no display on my HDTV. I figured I just need to go back to my LCD which was still hooked up to my cpu. No display there as well. I tried dvi and vga hook ups from the monitor to both graphic cards but nothing worked to get me a display. I also tried my girlfriends monitor, which only has vga, to both graphics card and still nothing worked. So at this point I have NO display.

After about an hour of trying different combinations of cords, monitors, plugs, tv’s ect, I RANDOMLY somehow got a display with my girlfriends monitor vga to the 5600 card (I think). I had to hold the vga cord a certain way on attached to the monitor in order for the display to work. So since I had a display, I quickly installed 10.7. After installation, it did not prompt me to reboot (which I thought was weird) so I just went to properties and tried to change the resolution to the max 1600x something, to see how it looks. The screen went blank and the display never reappeared.

Now I basically have NO DISPLAY again. After another hour of playing with cords, monitors, etc, I decided to just go to bed and try not to throw the computer and monitors across the room at some of my girlfriends cats.

Any suggestions? I have been reading forums, some say it might be hardware, but in my case everything is new (within 5 months old). Some talk about a reset on my motherboard, but I don’t know how to do it without a display

Hello,

Does any logo's or writing appear when you turn the laptop?
Which operating system are you using? If you are using windows try pressing F8 before windows would boot and select Enable low resolution video (640 × 480). If windows starts try installing the appropriate driver for the graphics card (5600HD).

- Let us know how it goes.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.