Bear with me as I'm new to this!

This computer was built by a friend of mine about 4 yeas ago. Been working sweet until the other day, there was no signal on the monitor!!

- Have opened up the computer and the fan on the video card (AGP) is still spins happily when pc is on.
- Have swapped with another functioning video card (PCI) and still no luck!
- Have tried using a different monitor and still nothing!
- Have used the original AGP video card in another PC and it works fine!

What on earth could it be!? :cry:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Someone may have changed the default video card to something else, probably the on-board video. If there isn't on-board video then try switching the monitor to whatever other video card there is. If that doesn't work. Turn of the CPU and unplug it, then take out the cmos battery and put it back in. You could always try to move your ram to a different slot :D. The system is receiving power, correct? And the CPU fan spins? No beeping or anything? What about clicking or clacking from the HD? Check for termites? Or chickens with large talons?

Maybe the last two won't work...

Hope this helps!

Shane McP

Thanks so much for the reply!

No there isn't an onboard video.
Have switched monitor with another pc, and monitor is fine.
Have also moved the ram cards into different slots in every combination!
The system is definately receiving power
No beeps
No clicking or clacking, sounds like it's running normally.
Definately no termites and chickens with talons! (unless they have an invisible spell cast over them! :eek: )

Havent removed the cmos battery and put back in as I really dont know how!!

Does is sound like the motherboard or CPU issue? or something else?!

cheeers! :)

The clicking or clacking sounds that ShaneMcP was refering to are the sounds that the harddrives usually make as they are being read when Windows starts up. Do you hear these sounds at all? If you leave the system on, do you ever hear the Windows startup sound? Set up everything as if you were actually going to use the computer (speakers on, volume up, monitor on, etc), turn on the machine, and ignore the lack of the display. Do you hear what you usually hear when the machine boots up?

If you don't hear the usual sounds (the beep from the system speaker during POST, the harddrives being read, the Windows startup sound), that could mean that your machine isn't actually working and that the non-functioning display is just a symptom rather than the actual problem.

hi this is Harendra from Australia,

when I am starting PC it makes no sound(no beeps-no POST, no harddrives reading sound, no window stratup sound), monitor didn't show anything, when I remove data cable from monitor it shows "no signal- self diagnostics"-display. can you please help me, how to solve this problem?

hi this is Harendra from Australia,

when I am starting PC it makes no sound(no beeps-no POST, no harddrives reading sound, no window stratup sound), monitor didn't show anything, when I remove data cable from monitor it shows "no signal- self diagnostics"-display. can you please help me, how to solve this problem?

First, read this thread.

Second, it is normal to see the "no signal - self diagnostics" message when you remove the cable. That is a message that many monitors display when they stop receiving data from a computer. Since you removed the data cable, it would logically follow that you would see that on the monitor.

Third, post a new thread detailing your problem since this is someone else's thread about their own problem and the thread is more than two years old. When you post this new thread, include details about what you tried from the thread I linked above and what the results were.

Bear with me as I'm new to this!

This computer was built by a friend of mine about 4 yeas ago. Been working sweet until the other day, there was no signal on the monitor!!

- Have opened up the computer and the fan on the video card (AGP) is still spins happily when pc is on.
- Have swapped with another functioning video card (PCI) and still no luck!
- Have tried using a different monitor and still nothing!
- Have used the original AGP video card in another PC and it works fine!

What on earth could it be!? :cry:

There are possibilities of a motherboard issue, power supply issue, graphics card issue. When it comes to troubleshooting, basic technics are used, if you have a monitor connected to a graphics card, the problem may arise in this area of troubleshooting. Your graphics card may be failing, or there is no driver for your card installed, BIOS may not be set up to recognize the monitor as the primary device, or there is a power issue between the motherboard and graphics card. A power supply may be failing, or the motherboard may be defective. The remedy to troubleshooting is to review and focus on one thing at a time.

yes i turn on computer and monitor no signal dectected..i have no idea what the video card mention in previous answers to this question so i have not tried to switch it also i have removed battery..if battery is dead and replace it with a new one will it help solve problem...thanks vito

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.