Hello everyone!
A month ago I bought my new computer:
Intel core i5 3570k
Gigabyte z77 - d3h
8Gb 1600 corsair
Samsung ssd 830
Seasonic x650
Sapphire 7950

I have a problem that I don't know how to resolve.
It started a week after I bought the computer and till now I don't know why it happens. The problem is:
When I turn on the computer, the screen stays black - no signal.
I can hear from the speakers that the windows is loaded, but can't see anything.
I have to restart - sometimes 1 time, sometimes 5 times and sometimes I have to unplag some hardware until there is a view.

Please help me, i'm desperate.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Double-check that the video cable is properly connected, both to the computer and to the rear of the monitor. Because your computer has a Sapphire 7950 video card, this means there are two video connectors on the back of your computer. The video connector near the top of the computer next to the USB ports, that is the 'onboard' or integrated video. The other video connecter half-way down the back of your computer is your Sapphire 7950 video card - this is the connector you need to attach your video cable to.

If that doesn't help, can you return it to the shop you bought it from?

If you can't return the computer, how do you feel about opening the computer up? All you will do at first is just to apply some gentle pressure on the edge of the video card to make sure it is seated is the connecter properly. Do this with the power cable unplugged, and don't touch any of the electronic components on the video card or motherboard. Once you have done this reconnect and turn on your computer.

If that doesn't work, then remove your video card completely and then connect the video cable to the onboard video connector. Reconnect your power cable and turn on. If that works without issue then there is a problem with the video card you removed.

Actually, im the one who assembled the computer.
Everything is connected properly.
I dont know if the problem is the video card, because it eventually works.

Well, if everything is connected properly, and there is nothing wrong with your video card, then making five or so attempts to boot up your PC so that you get a display must be perfectly normal.

It could never be that the video card only begins to work properly when it has warmed up enough, expanding an electronic connection, and therefore providing a display after several attempts. Or, an ESD damaged component. This would be simply impossible, yes? :-)

So you mean that the card probably damaged?

Remove the video card and try the onboard video. But, when you remove the video card don't touch any of the components, just handle it by the plastic edges otherwise an Electro Static Discharge (ESD) from you will damage sensitive components on the card.

But, hopefully I'm very wrong and it's just a matter of something needing to be reseated.

So, I have an update which makes the problem more strange than before:
After I've seen that the integrated graphics works at first boot, I plugged the 7950 again, and I've seen that again I have to restart till I get view.
The next step was to take my previous card - geforce 260gtx, and plug instead the 7950. Second step, I took the 7950 and plugged into my previous computer, instead the 260gtx.
The results:
The older computer, with the 7959 started immediately without need to restart, and the most surprising that the new computer started immediatel too!

So, now I really dont know how to find the problem, but I have something on my mind:
Because I plugged the 260gtx, which doesnt support pcie3, it worked as pcie2.
In addition, the 7950, which supports pcie3, was plugged into an old computer with pcie2 only, so it worked as pcie2 too.
Somwhat I think, that something is wrong with the integration between the 7950 and the pcie3 in my motherboard.

What do you think?

Considering what you have discovered, please have a look in your motherboard manual here (or the book if you have it) at pages 7, 10, and 50.

Pages 7 & 10 will help you to check if you are putting the 7950 into the correct PCIe slot.

Page 50 will help you to check your BIOS settings.

Firstly you need to check the power cable and VGA cable of your monitor. And if all are fine and working. Then you need to select the proper graphics option from the bios of your computer. Actually you use your seceondary graphics option means you use Sapphire 7950 graphics card. So you need to deactivate your primary graphics option and enable your secondary card card. I think it is the best sollution for your problem.

At-first you need to check the power cable and VGA cable of your monitor. And if all are fine and working. Then you need to select the proper graphics option from the bios of your computer. Actually you use your seceondary graphics option means you use Sapphire 7950 graphics card. So you need to deactivate your primary graphics option and enable your secondary card card. I think it is the best sollution for your problem.**

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.