When I tried connecting 2 different monitors to the cpu, both had 'no video input' message. When I connect these 2 monitors to my notebook, both could show the images in the notebook. Logically it would mean the cpu would be the problem. However as I could hear the cpu boot up, the keyboard+mouse light on and all cables are connected properly, I wish to double-check is there a possibility that the monitors are not working but just able to mirror the images in the notebook cause it's driven by the notebook power?- please explain why yes or no to this.

So is it definitely the pc problem?

Much tks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Things to check would be if your PC has an additional graphics card fitted, a card other than the one integrated with the motherboard. So look for another video connector, often below the cluster of standard connectors, because the additional card can override the onboard.

The other thing to check for is whether the PC is set at a resolution higher than the monitor can cope with. But, even if this was the case, you should still see something when the PC initialises after being turned on. Does the monitor remain off as soon as you turn the PC on, or does it turn off just when Windows starts? If it only goes off as Windows starts then it could be due to the resolution being to high.

If neither of these help, please give us more info on the PC, the monitors, and the Laptop.

I suspect it's more of the nvidia graphics card overriding the vga integrated with motherboard connection which my 2 monitors only had vga connection. How do I test if the nvidia graphics card is working (don't know how to use a analogue multimeter) if I don't have any monitor nor cable with the white new type of connection. I need to make sure the card is working b4 going out to buy a monitor + cable with that kind of cable as I'm now recoverying from injury and can't carry to the shops. The pc is Hp Pavillion s5788d Core 2 Intel Quad processor.

The 2 monitors Dell 19 inch and phillips 14 inch remains on and auto sleep mode b4 and after pc is on. When I pressed the monitor's button to wake it up from sleep mode I still see 'the no video input' message.

tks!

The simplest way to deal with this is to take the video card out. Your BIOS will default to the onboard again. When you get the cable your need for that card then put it back in.

Just be careful of how you take the card out. Disconnect the power cord, and press the power button to discharge the system. Don't touch any circuitry, chips, or connectors. Be aware of ESD.

I had found a a dvi to vga adapter in my storage and tried connecting both monitors vga port via vga cable to the graphics card dvi connection in the cpu. Again there was a 'no video input' messages on both monitors. I then bought a new (24+5) male to vga female adapter similar in connection to the old one except it look shorter in length. This time it's even worst with 'no vga cable connection' messages on both monitors despite checking that the connection were fine. My friend who gave me the cpu said he tested it b4 just b4 delivering it to me and it was fine and he had connected to monitors with only vga connection via such adaptors b4 and it worked fine. What could be the problem this time? The sound of the cpu seems fine - headache...

Sorry, I forgot about this discussion.

Next thing to check is the power going to your video card. What is the max wattage of your Power Supply Unit? (PSU) You've still not told us anything about your video card. Does it have a power socket on the video card itself? Do you have a spare power connector from the PSU to connect to it? If you haven't powered your video card via the PSU, or if your PSU doesn't have the wattage to feed the video card, then it won't work. You may have to get a higher wattage PSU.

This said, it could still be a faulty video cord. So, it's important to now know more about your PSU, and whether the video card is getting any or enough power.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.