Hi all,
I am a novice and I am struggling hard to get to the root of my display problem. Whenever I start my laptop Dell Inspiron 8100 , the screen start behaving oddly . It shows random lines all over the screen and I can not do anything . It remains like that. I tried connecting the laptop to external projector and monitor and the same problem repeats so I suspect that problem is not with screen . What I get on external monitor is same as what I see on my LCD: Rubbish . I suspect that problem is somewhere with Video card or somewhere else.
Can you please guide me as to how I should proceed.
Thanks a lot for your help
malik

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Hi all,
I took my laptop to Circuit City and showed it to one of their tech guys. We discussed the issue and it seems that this can not be video card problem since a bad video card will not show anything.
He suspect that most probable issue could be bad BIOS. I will post the answer in 2 days as to if this is the real issue or not.
-maliks

Hi all,
He suspect that most probable issue could be bad BIOS.
-maliks

It is very possible your bios got corrupted some how. The only way to fix this would be to get a new motherboard. Is your dell still under warrenty?

No the Dell is not under warrantly now ( I had 4 years of warrantly on this and problem occured after that :)
I am still waitng to hear from Circuit City guy but I got the impression that he can reset the BIOS .
-Shobhit

Hmm after 2 days I go to Circuit City and got the answer that they were not able to flush the BIOS. Now they also suspect that video card is the problem. I asked them whats the guarantee and well there is none. I am very disappointed to say the least. I asked for my money refund ( $60) since they did absolutely nothing . To this I got the answer that they are responsible for running diagonistic . They ran diagonistic and did not find cause of problem. Well now I think I should have fought harder with them. Eeek . I feel as I have met few conmen who conned me .

Anyway I am back to where I started . Does anyone know how to flush BIOS in Dell 8100.

Also does anyone has any review for "www.impactcomputers.com". They contain a very large inventory of spare parts and I can ship them my laptop for $50.

The reason I dont suspect Video card is that if video card is faulty I should see nothing on the screen . My screen still shows odd color pattern all over.
Thanks for the inputs
maliks

I still think you just need a new motherboard.

I still think you just need a new motherboard.

I agree with you. This time I am biting the bullet :) and asked impactreview.com repair facility run diagonistic and told them that most probable cause is motherboard. Hmm I think I am looking at ~300 dollars of repairs if thats the cause. I will update what they find the cause which most probably is going to be motherboard.

Any updates on this issue?

Any updates on this issue?

I called the impactcomputer guys and they take 3-5 days to answer.I guess they will take all 5 days. I should be able to post the update on Friday ( June 9 )
-Shobhit

PS: But as already posted our suspicions lie squarely on Motherboard.

new or semi new cards are sold on ebay.
when i remove my card or just twist it a little it works for a day or 2 then goes back to being messed up.

Hi Guys,
I got the diagnostic done and finally the problem has been traced to video card.
Really funny that video card problem can do this but thats it.
This is my final post as the closes the issue.
Regards
maliks

Hi all,
I am a novice and I am struggling hard to get to the root of my display problem. Whenever I start my laptop Dell Inspiron 8100 , the screen start behaving oddly . It shows random lines all over the screen and I can not do anything . It remains like that. I tried connecting the laptop to external projector and monitor and the same problem repeats so I suspect that problem is not with screen . What I get on external monitor is same as what I see on my LCD: Rubbish . I suspect that problem is somewhere with Video card or somewhere else.
Can you please guide me as to how I should proceed.
Thanks a lot for your help
malik

Hi,

I am having the exact same problem as malik had in May. His or her final email said that the problem WAS the video card, but my question is (and I am a NEWBIE): I thought the video was part of the motherboard in the Inspiron 8100. Is there actually a separate video card that can be bought? My boss's wife brought this in, and it's out of warranty, and I'd really love somebody's help pointing me in the right direction.

Rae

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.