I have an old Compaq Armada laptop. The display is covered with white horizontal lines, and green red, and blu vertical lines. Kind of like a graph. Does anyone know how to clear this. :?:

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

Does it run Windows? DOS? Does this hapen in both or only Windows or ...?

It's runnin NT 4.0. It stays on all the time. It is "On top" of the display. I tooled around with the display setting but nothing seemed to work.

Refresh rate possibly?

I tried that but the only setting available is " hardware default" There is no way to change the refresh. I can change all the display properties but that.

I tried that but the only setting available is " hardware default" There is no way to change the refresh. I can change all the display properties but that.

you change the refresh rate from inside windows? display properties and then to advanced?? then to monitor settings?

you don't have that?

Yeah I know that. There is a pull down bow that has all the possible display setting in them. When you pull it down it'll say 800x600 256 colors (hardware default refresh)
That is one example but all the choices have the hardware default as possible refresh,no other refresh rate listed.

The thing looks like a big grid placed on the screen. I've thought of the basic stuff like refresh rate, .....................display settings.

It is a Compaq Laptop I'm working on.

I have an old Compaq Armada laptop. The display is covered with white horizontal lines, and green red, and blu vertical lines. Kind of like a graph. Does anyone know how to clear this?

To me, monitor repairman that I am, it sounds like bad contacts between the driver electronics and the display itself. One relatively easy test for this problem is as follows:

With the unit on, gently grasp the left and right edges of the display. Gently twist the display (no more than a few ounces of pressure) as though you are wringing out a towel. See if the display flashes, changes, etc. This may even fix the problem.

Try changing the display angle, a bit more open or closed, with power on. Changes at this point indicate a cable problem.

It's also possible that one of the driver chips is actually defective. In this case, the above tests will have little or no effect.

Unfortunately, in any case it is likely that the display is essentially beyond economical repair.

DISCLAIMER: While nothing I'm descriibing here is likely to cause any permanent damage, I cannot be held reponsible for negative outcomes -- but I don't see how you could make it any worse short of outright abuse.

That is interesting. I didnt really think of the reason why to do that, but I did try that already to no avail. I appreciate everyones input and suggestions. Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.