just started using a belkin pro series 8 port kvm with highest quailty cables available. it still degrades the video signal going to my 21" flat screen dell trinitron. I am told there is nothing i can do about this, all kvms reduce video quality at least somewhat.

If I were to change monitors, might this improve the situation? the kvm video looks too bright and washed out, not as sharp and i can sense the eye strain within a few seconds of looking at the screen... which didnt happen before the kvm. Would an LCD monitor look better with the KFM feed?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

just started using a belkin pro series 8 port kvm with highest quailty cables available. it still degrades the video signal going to my 21" flat screen dell trinitron. I am told there is nothing i can do about this, all kvms reduce video quality at least somewhat.

If I were to change monitors, might this improve the situation? the kvm video looks too bright and washed out, not as sharp and i can sense the eye strain within a few seconds of looking at the screen... which didnt happen before the kvm. Would an LCD monitor look better with the KFM feed?

have you tried adjusting the monitor so it doesnt look like that?? i know right after i got my monitor it was so bright it looked almost white but all i had to do is lower the brightness and work a little on the contrast and it came out perfect.

sure tried that, the problem is with KVM switches. I am told that all of them degrade the video signal somewhat. I guess they make DVI kvm switches for lcd monitors that do not suffer from this, but those switches are expensive.

Hello,

Any switch / additions made to the monitor cable will cause a degration. That is because you lose signal every time you make a connection. In the RF world, adding a double-barrel-female connector to splice two coax cables together can knock the signal down 50 percent!

You do not mention what other computers you are trying to remote control. I am in a similar situation... and instead of a KVM switch, I use VNC to have one master computer remote control the rest of them. SO, the Linux box remote controls the Windows Server, and the Mac Server and a third computer. I wish that VNC would remote a Novell Server, but with other tools, I can manage that thing.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.