How do i check if i have a 32 or 64 bit processor? Will 64 bit os work with the 32 bit processor?

64 bit os from 32 bit os, is it because processor went from 32 bit to 64 bit ?

I know 64 bit is faster and more efficient than 32 bit processor, but why os has 32/64 bit too? Does os walk shoulder to shoulder with processors?

Could anyone please explain a little bit. So much wanna know. Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

If you're using Windows, rt-click My Computer/Properties to find your processor type.
64 bit OS will not work with 32 bit OS.
64 bit is not necessarily faster or more efficient, but it can use much more memory.
See here for more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/64-bit

a 64bit CPU will run a 32bit OS but not the other way around. the biggest advantage of the 64bit is that you can run up to 16Gig of ram. it is mainly used in servers.

a 64bit CPU will run a 32bit OS but not the other way around. the biggest advantage of the 64bit is that you can run up to 16Gig of ram. it is mainly used in servers.

Actually, 64 bit computers, like the one I'm using, are quite common for home users. Many of the newest computers are 64 bit, and I think Gateway is going to all 64 bit soon.
You're a little off on the memory capabilities: "Today, when 2 GB of main memory is common, the ceiling of 2^64 addresses is about ten billion times larger, i.e. ten million times more headroom than the 2^32 case."

I do apologize for the confusion. i misunderstood the website that i was reading(i had to do some research before answering this post) i guess the maximum memory for a 64bit is 1exobite which is 1000 terabytes. the article i was reading said that most motherboards will only support 16G that is how i got confused..

very sorry.

Hi everybody I have question I just recently upgraded my OS to xp pro 64 bit from 32 bit xp home basic........ after I did the upgrade to xp pro 64 bit when I went to system info to see if my computer was 64 bit it says (C:\WINDOWS\system32) does this mean my system is still running 32 bit? my cpu is DUAL CORE E5300 and motherboard is GYGABYTE GA-81945GZME-rh socket775. am i doing something wrong if anyone can help out would much appreciated

dualcore e5300 is 32 bit but in this case you won't be able to install xp 64
to make sure wich xp you are runing go on the c:\ drive you should see wo folders
Program files and program files(x86) if you don't have them both that means that you are runing windows in 32 bit mode

Hi sissendz I did a scan of my cpu with (Intel Utility ID) here is the status I got

CPU
Essentials
Status Launched
Launch Date Q4'08
Processor Number E5300
# of Cores 2
# of Threads 2
Clock Speed 2.6 GHz
L2 Cache 2 MB
Bus/Core Ratio 13
FSB Speed 800 MHz
FSB Parity No
Instruction Set 64-bit
Embedded Options Available Yes
Supplemental SKU No
Lithography 45 nm
Max TDP 65 W
VID Voltage Range 0.8500V-1.3625V
1ku Bulk Budgetary Price $64.00
Graphics Specifications
Integrated Graphics No
Package Specifications
Max CPU Configuration 1
TCASE 74.1°C
Processing Die Size 82 mm2
# of Processing Die Transistors 228 million
Sockets Supported LGA775
Halogen Free Options Available Yes
Intel® Silicon and Support
Find Compatible Embedded Boards
Advanced Technologies
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology No
Intel® Hyper-Threading Technology No
Intel® Virtualization Technology (VT-x) See SPEC Details
Intel® Virtualization Technology for Directed I/O (VT-d) No
Intel® Trusted Execution Technology No
AES New Instructions No
Intel® 64 Yes
Idle States Yes
Enhanced Intel® Speedstep Technology Yes
Intel® Demand Based Switching No
Thermal Monitoring Technologies Yes
Execute Disable Bit

Ya I did a fresh install of xp pro 64 and when I checked my programs files in drive C: there's 2 that says programs files and 1 of them with the x86 next to it?

yes
After I wrote the answer i went to the intel website just to check and I saw the 64 bit instruction set
I'm still looking to see if it means that your processor is an x64 or just that it has got the 64 instructions set but without adressing the memory on 64 bit width

It looks weird but your processor is definitely 64 bit I didn't know that the pentium dual core are 64 bit
but this specifications says that it is:
Intel® 64 Yes
so congrates
but avoid XP 64 it is just windows 2000 rebranded if you wants a real 64 bit os go for win 7 I tried xp 64 it was really unstable like working on NT 4.0 with new hardware wich means a lot of hardware conflict

ya it's weird but thanks much for the help Bro ya I'm Diff gonna switch to windows 7 64

ah man i just figured out my problem my motherboard isn't compatible with my cpu

how to check motherboard bit

how to check motherboard bit

Which Motherboard bit?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.