Hi,

So I built my own cpu about 6 months ago and it worked perfectly until all of a sudden it would shutdown after about 20 minutes of running. Then I would click the restart button and it would run for about 20 seconds, and then less and less. If I wait about 30 minutes it will run for another 20 minutes.

I think it might have something to do with overheating, but my fans seem to be working fine. They do shutoff the same time my cpu shuts off randomly.

Here's the cpu information -
HD 150G|WD 10K 16M SATA WD1500ADFD - OEM
CPU INTEL|C2Q Q6600 2.40G 775 8M
VGA EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR 8800GTS -
MB GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L P35+ICH9
CASECOOLERMAS|CAC-T05-UW BLK RT
PSU ROSEWILL | RP600V2-S-SL 600W RT
MEM 2Gx2|GSK F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ R
SDCD CREATIVE|70SB104000000 RT

Please help. Thanks!!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

yes that does sound like a heat problem.

I suppose you're using the stock heatsink?

the clips on those are quite silly, that's where I'd look first. Are all 4 corners down into the mobo properly?

Check your power supply dude... my have some problem.. :)

Check your processor if it is correctly installed and fitted in the cpu slot of your motherboard. Incorrect pib installation would lead to overheating and abnormal shutting off of the unit. Your RAm, video card and psu should also be checked.

Make sure you've got the right amount of heat sink paste on your cpu and heat sink. Best to use a good quality one, maybe silver paste. Smear a thin layer of the stuff so that there is good contact to the cpu. Also make sure you blow out any dust from any fins. Also make sure the fan plug is connected the right way round, unlikely but you never know!
Also check that your memory is seated properly. Take them out first and clean out the slots.
The problem could also be caused due to faulty periferals. Maybe your mouse is faulty, or your web cam.
Possibly a software problem of which case you might need to reload your Operating System and programs. Make sure you back up what data first.
As with the ram, make sure your graphics card is seated properly and make sure the slots are clean.
Unplug any periferals that are not in use, like your scanner or any other usb products lying dorment.
The idea is to troubleshoot!

Hi,

So I built my own cpu about 6 months ago and it worked perfectly until all of a sudden it would shutdown after about 20 minutes of running. Then I would click the restart button and it would run for about 20 seconds, and then less and less. If I wait about 30 minutes it will run for another 20 minutes.

I think it might have something to do with overheating, but my fans seem to be working fine. They do shutoff the same time my cpu shuts off randomly.

Here's the cpu information -
HD 150G|WD 10K 16M SATA WD1500ADFD - OEM
CPU INTEL|C2Q Q6600 2.40G 775 8M
VGA EVGA 320-P2-N811-AR 8800GTS -
MB GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L P35+ICH9
CASECOOLERMAS|CAC-T05-UW BLK RT
PSU ROSEWILL | RP600V2-S-SL 600W RT
MEM 2Gx2|GSK F2-6400CL5D-4GBPQ R
SDCD CREATIVE|70SB104000000 RT

Please help. Thanks!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.