ok im sorry to post a title like that but im in a hurry.
http://www.asrock.com.tw/product/product_m266a.htm
thats a motherboard im getting but im the specs it says IDE: 2x ATA 133/100/66/33 Up To 4 Devices if that for just hard drives or is it for every device? well can i install a dvd-rom,a cd-rw,and floppy drive, and 2 hard drives on this motherboard all these devices are seperate and i need to know if i can install of if them at once. and does this motherbaord have USB hearders?

[edit] title of thread changed; please check our announcement forum for our rule about legal thread titles - thanks :) [/edit]

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

The answeres to your 2 ?'s is yes !on the site you posted download the manual and read it further ,here is a copy /paste from it about the usb.

USB 2.0: 4 default USB 2.0 ports and a set of header for two additional
USB 2.0 ports upgrade (see CAUTION 2)

An IDE channel can have two IDE devices on it. So long as they have IDE connectors, the devices should work. A floppy isn't an ATA/IDE device-- it has its own special port. So, you should be okay with that motherboard.

But, as a point of Netiquette, "please respond quick" is pretty rude...

well i already siad sorry and i was in a hurry cause i ordered the motherboard on that day

ok if the mobo only has connectors for 4 IDE drives is there a way that i can add a dvd-rom,dvd-burner,and a cd-rw. plus two hdd all at once?

ok if the mobo only has connectors for 4 IDE drives is there a way that i can add a dvd-rom,dvd-burner,and a cd-rw. plus two hdd all at once?

There are add-in PCI boards that can provide additional IDE ports -- but remember, a DVD-burner can burn CD-Rs and CD-RWs as well as playing DVDs, so anything more than a DVD +/- burner plus a DVD-ROM drive is overkill. Even the DVD-ROM is optional, since drive-to-drive copy is rarely a good idea.

Even the DVD-ROM is optional, since drive-to-drive copy is rarely a good idea.

I don't know if this is true or not anymore, but I remember reading somewhere that, if you can afford it, it's a good idea to get a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive in addition to your CD-RW/DVD-RW drive.

Basically, the article I read contended that, because of the write mechanisms on the rewritable drive add more weight to the drive. What the author said was that the extra weight increases the wear and tear on the drive, thus causing it to fail earlier. If you did a lot of reading of DVDs and CD-ROMs, it is this reason that the guy said you should have a regular DVD or CD drive in addition to your burner.

...But like I said, I don't know if that's true anymore. I will agree, though, that drive-to-drive copying isn't a very good thing to do, considering data throughput issues.

I don't know if this is true or not anymore, but I remember reading somewhere that, if you can afford it, it's a good idea to get a CD-ROM/DVD-ROM drive in addition to your CD-RW/DVD-RW drive.

That's why I said that anything more than two drives was overkill...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.