My 7 year old Intel 32 bit motherboard passed away. I'l like to replace it with a 64 bit motherboard, processor and memory and still run my Xp Pro hard drive and DXD/CD. Here's the big question: will Xp boot up on the 64 bit hardware? I'm assuming I'll have to load some 64 bit drivers for the printer, etc.

Thanks,
Speedy

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

This part of the forum is for Python questions, you can post your question to hardware and software.

>>This part of the forum is for Python questions, you can post your question to hardware and software.

Moved. Next time, please use the "flag bad post" button. That way the moderators will get notified sooner and can relocate the thread as fast as possible. Thanks!

My 7 year old Intel 32 bit motherboard passed away. I'l like to replace it with a 64 bit motherboard, processor and memory and still run my Xp Pro hard drive and DXD/CD. Here's the big question: will Xp boot up on the 64 bit hardware? I'm assuming I'll have to load some 64 bit drivers for the printer, etc.

Thanks,
Speedy

first no problem using you harddrive and dvd rom ,but you will [most] likely have to reinstall winxp ,you won't need to run 64 bit drivers if you are using a 32 bit winxp ,you will need to use 32 bit drivers for everything ,no advantage to having a 64 bit motherboard unless you install a 64 bit windows OS

I can handle a reload of Xp but I really don't want to format my C drive and do a new install. My drive also has a D partition for my user files. I'm assuming Xp may complain about the chipset on the motherboard eventhough it is also an Intel type but a much newer version . Thanks for your reply.

its possible that if you uninstall you chip set ,and video drivers and any other devices before you move the hardrive it may work

Sorry for the extremely long delay in responding back to you. Yes, the new 64 bit hardware booted up on 32 bit Xp Pro and squawed profusely about the drivers and that was easiy remedied by the Gigabyte DVD supplied drivers. Everything worked out great except the microphone input on the motherboard didn't work. I'm not going to pursue getting a replacement mobo, I just got a new webcam to update a really old camera and an OK mike. Thanks for you helpful comments. Speedy

Sorry for the extremely long delay in responding back to you. Yes, the new 64 bit hardware booted up on 32 bit Xp Pro and squawed profusely about the drivers and that was easiy remedied by the Gigabyte DVD supplied drivers. Everything worked out great except the microphone input on the motherboard didn't work. I'm not going to pursue getting a replacement mobo, I just got a new webcam to update a really old camera and an OK mike. Thanks for you helpful comments. Speedy

great to see all went well ,good luck with new computer

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.