Member Avatar for whoost

Long time no see DaniWeb =]

Sadly it's a problem with a new system I'm building that brings me back.

To start, the specs I know are probably most important are:
MoBo: ASUS Crosshair IV Formula (AM3 AMD 890FX)
RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x2GB 240-Pin DDR3 1600
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz AM3

I was just recently finishing building a new desktop and thought all was going perfect, but alas when I attempted to power on, I got one long and two short system beeps that repeated. According to the ASUS manual it means no memory was detected. The POST LED's on the board concur, with a red LED lit next to the DRAM label.

Now, I double-checked on Crucial.com that the memory is compatible with the motherboard and it is, and I double-checked as best I could that the CPU supports the memory. I couldn't find any incompatibilities, so I took out all but one stick and tried it individually in each slot one-by-one, and each time the memory is not recognized.

About the only thing I didn't do was take everything apart and put it all back together again, but at this point I would be willing if there are no other recommendations.

So my main questions are

1. What other tests are there, if any, for me to run?
  2. At what point do I stop running tests and just declare a part bad?
  3. Which part should be the primary suspect of malfunction?

Thanks in advanced for the help, and let me know if any other specs or info are needed.

Many large computer stores have a shop that can test memory. Whether or not the RAM is suitable for the board is another matter.

Member Avatar for whoost

Thank you for that advice. I got the sticks tested, and it turns out they were bad so I got them replaced =]. Everything is working wonderfully now, the memory is recognized and everything.

One note though for anyone else who might have problems:
The memory slots on the Crosshair Formula IV only have a snap on one side, which means you have to remember to push the bottom in well too after the side with the snap auto-closes. When I installed the new memory, one stick was reading but the other wasn't, and I realized that even though the bottom appeared to be pushed in as far on the second stick, it wasn't. A firm press fixed it though, and I'm back up and running with both sticks installed properly.

my friend has a low update rate when on his computer. i noticed that his memory was not showing the full amount. i upgraded his ram to 2 gigs and not all his new ram was detected. it was a small percentage and the ram itself was more than double what he previously had. there was no appreciable improvement. i thoroughly researched the new ram and am certain it is the correct memory. it is a 2002 compact laptop v2000. where do i check next? thankyou patdeeley

my friend has a low update rate when on his computer. i noticed that his memory was not showing the full amount. i upgraded his ram to 2 gigs and not all his new ram was detected. it was a small percentage and the ram itself was more than double what he previously had. there was no appreciable improvement. i thoroughly researched the new ram and am certain it is the correct memory. it is a 2002 compact laptop v2000. where do i check next? thankyou patdeeley

don't forget about some of the ram being used for video ,how big a chip did you add ,how much ram did it already have ,i am typing this on a v2000 ,and im almost sure the max is 2gig ,so that would mean i can only have 2x1 gig,it will not resconize a 2gig stick in it

+1 that is right

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.