Hi just recently my desktop gave up on me took the the shop the guy said something wrong with the motherboard could cost £200
my previous one ram 1 GB

So now i need a new desktop my background web developer so i use alot web software, photoshops and so on, and wrking towards programming so need to do alot copiling such java, c++, visual studios and probably alot other programming tools. i need it to be fast multi-task.

I think i need to worry about the processor speed and ram size's maybe other things dnt really know much bout it but has to be fast multi-task computer so what should i be looking for to have a computer suitable for a feature programmer???
should a build or buy my budget is £400 dnt need monitor????

one of the options i thought was the following

* Dual-core Intel® Core™ i3-540 (3.06 GHz) ----------------is this fast enough????
* Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit
* Memory: 3GB ------------------ is that good size for a programming???
* 500GB
* DVD writer

or which of this would u recommend???
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/desktop-pcs/706_7021_70021_xx_xx/xx-criteria.html

or should i build from scratch????

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

i would go for at least a i5 and 4 or even 6 gig of ram,win7 64bit will use all the ram

ok but are you saying i need to get one with higher on (Genuine Windows® 7 Home Premium 64 bit) depending on the ram i dnt really know whats that should i look for ones over 64 bit ???

..better you go at least an i5 processor, 6 to 8 gig ram (you can upgrade it if you want to), 1 gb to 2 gb external video card..and for your OS, better you use windows 7 professional or ultimate 64 bits..i hope it helps!..^_^..

ok i was also told bout quad core, the Phenom II still investigate what that is on d web but is that something i should be looking to have on my pc aswell for sure????

ok i was also told bout quad core, the Phenom II still investigate what that is on d web but is that something i should be looking to have on my pc aswell for sure????

the I5 is a Intel Processor and Phenom2 is a AMD processor ,your choice would be one or the other not both !
what i meant about the 4 gig of ram was you first post said win7 64bit ,and 3 gig ram ,win7 32 bit will only use 3.5 gig of ram ,win7 64bit will use 4 gig and over up to about 128gig or so,
So i was suggesting 4-6 gig of ram for your build .

ok thanks ok another thing i'm hoping to get the highest quality within a tight budget u mention Intel Core i5 Processor

so i'm starting to look first for a motherboard and from my online research d motherboard must be compatible of something with the i5 or i7 some say it takes i5 or i7 i found this one bellow you think it would give m the same option to include a processor same capability as i7 ???

i'm trying to aim for motherboards that will take 8 GB memory and either i7 processor or amd equivalent to that which i don't know yet which one? i'm on the right track to build d ultimatium pc please check the link if motherboard good for those specification?? or if you know any other good motherboard send me the link please?

http://www.misco.co.uk/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=508416&CatId=0

ASUS M4A78T-E Motherboard - AMD 790GX, AM3 128MB DDR2 Side-Port, ATI Hybrid, CrossFire, PCIe 2.0, DDR3 Memory USB2.0, RAID, HDMI/DVI

which of this would you recomend for a programmer?? use for webdeveloipng c++ csharp photoshop and maybe more

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Processor Socket AM3 Price 158.99

Intel Core i5 650 3.20GHz Socket 1156 4MB L3 cache retail Box Processor Price 132.99

AMD Phenom II X2 560 Black Edition 3.3GHz Socket AM3 80w 7MB L2 Cache Retail Boxed Processor 77.99

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition 3.2 GHz Socket AM3 8MB Cache Retail Boxed Processor £119.30

or a better one within those price range

what ever you can afford ,im sure anyone in the list will do what you want it to do !

..yah, better you choose AMD processors for a good performance!..^_^..

Build one dude it will be great ... and u will add-on hardware you like...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.