I've been using two RAMs, one is of 1 GB and the other is 512MB. My computer used to show the amount of correctly as 1.5 GB a few days before but now, whenever i turn on my PC, the total RAM is showed as 240MB, I've even did some testing by having a single RAM, but no matter which RAM i plug into my dock, it shows only 240 MB.

But at times when I'm lucky, the total RAM shows up correctly as 1.5GB, Guys please help!!!

Hi,

To rule out memory failure, I assume you can still access your Operating System, Download Memtest86+ and burn it onto a blank CD. Boot off the disk and let it run. If ANY Errors show up, you have some faulty ram.

http://www.memtest.org/

this is the link to the website where Memtest86+ is hosted. Scroll down the page and click on the one with the arrow on the page.

** Memtest86+ V4.10 (04/05/2010) **

* Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.gz)
* Download - Pre-Compiled Bootable ISO (.zip) <------------

As far as I know it wouldn't be a Operating System issue, I believe it to be a Hardware issue. Let me know if you have any questions and post any results please.

Waffles

Hey did ya check the BIOS for the amount of memory . This is where you should be able to isolate the problem between Hardware and software (OS in all possibility)

Do try to check for an OS scan .. http://www.idell.110mb.com/index.php?p=3_10

there is a asmall exe file that needs to be downloaded under teh download button ... install the setup nad
Run the scan to know the actual memory on the system..

And need i say pls add all the memory and do confirm in BIOS by restoring defaults if the new memory doesnt reflect.

Hey do reply to confirm resolution.. If this doesnt work will try and propose a different resolution.

thanks everybody, BTW, i got back my whole RAM just by cleaning my Motherboard thoroughly. Thanks for the help once again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.