I'm using P5GC-MX 1333 Asus motherboard. The place where i purchased it, they told me highest capacity of RAM can be used is 3 GB. Now i want to upgrade the RAM and bit fear to buy a new 2 GB RAM (Current i have 2GB RAM). Is it true that we can't upgrade RAM in to 4GB?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

its may wel ltake the 4 gig of ram ,but if you are using a 32bit windows install it will not recognize the extra 1 gig until you start using the 64bit windows install ,but if you already have 64 bit then it will work ,as long as the board can handle the 4gig and.

right click on [my]computer go properties and it will show there what your windows install is 32-64.

this is from asus site about the ram .its likely shop told you 3gig max because the windows installed is only 32bit

2 x DIMM, max. 4GB, DDR2 667/533 MHz, non-ECC, un-buffered memory
Dual channel memory architecture
* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for Memory QVL (Qualify Vendor List)
**When installing total memory of 4GB capacity or more, WindowsR 32-bit operation system may only recognize less than 3GB. Hence, a total installed memory of less than 3GB is recommended.

Thanks for your reply caperjak!!! Now i understood why they have told me like that thing!

here is a feature of win vista and win7 i used for a laptop i first used win7 on .it only had 1.5 gig of ram so i used a 4gig thumbdrive and redyboost ,its built into win7 .when i plugged in the usb thumbdrive first time it asked if i wanted to use it to speed up computer and you just chose yes ,it made a noticeable difference in the laptop
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-CA/windows7/products/features/readyboost

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.