My Sony VAIO VGN-NR21M/S is a laptop with a removable cpu. I'm wondering if it could be upgraded using any of the mobile processors (socket p) compatible with the Intel GM965 chipset. I was thinking along the lines of:

Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor T9500

What do you think?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

There is no way to tell. You could contact Sony and find out if they support that chip. They may or may not tell you, in which case you would have to find out the hard way. Sony Vaio's tend to be pretty proprietary as to what hardware you can use with the system, or at least used to be.

Thanks for the reply, I'll email Sony and see what they say.

"We regret to inform you that VAIO notebooks and desktops are not designed for hardware upgrades. Any exceptions are noted in your user manual, e.g. memory modules.

A design which supports hardware upgrades would affect the size, weight, power consumption, operating noise and thermal design of the product. You may still wish to attempt the upgrade on your own, but please bear in mind that even if you succeed with the upgrade attempt it may cause problems.

Opening or dismantling the main unit or any of its accessories, for whatever reason, could lead to damages that are not covered by the guarantee.
Thank you for your understanding in this matter."

Well that sucks.That reads to me as "we're not interested, bye". I may try it anyway. Advice from you guys on what processor to use or the criteria for choosing it would be great though. I take it the power draw needs to be the same as the old chip? what about the FSB?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.