Hi there! :cool:

Im new to this forum, and I was wondering if u guys could help me with this.

Im building a new CPU. This is my first time building a CPU system.
So, Ive done some research and here is my final complete configuration.

Im building a budget CPU ranging around $350-$450.
I hope some of you guys could help me check this configuration and see if it is compatible.
Please let me know if something is wrong or missing from the configuration.

Thanks in advance. :)

Here is the configuration:-

Case
Antec NSK 4400 Mini Tower ATX with 380W power supply

Mobo
Gigabyte GA-8I848P775-G Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 848P ATX Intel

Processor
Intel Pentium D 805 Smithfield 533MHz FSB 2 x 1MB L2 Cache LGA 775 Dual Core,EM64T

HDD

Seagate Barracuda 7200.7 ST3120827AS 120GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache Serial ATA150

Memory
Kingston HyperX 256MB 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200)

DVD Burner
LITE-ON Black 16X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 16X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 24X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2M Cache IDE

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

If you're going for gaming, might I suggest an AMD Athlon64 processor? AMD has a tendency of outperforming Intel in terms of CPU intensive tasks like games, vid editing and the like. AMD is quite cheaper than it's Intel counterpart aswell.

For the mobo, I kinda prefer MSI, followed by ASUS. See if you can go for these boards

Why're you settling for 256 MB RAM? Suggest you go for 512 MB minimum. If possible, go for 1 Gig

I also suggest a PSU # 400W minimum, with minimum 18Amps on the 12V rail

If you're going for gaming, might I suggest an AMD Athlon64 processor? AMD has a tendency of outperforming Intel in terms of CPU intensive tasks like games, vid editing and the like. AMD is quite cheaper than it's Intel counterpart aswell.

For the mobo, I kinda prefer MSI, followed by ASUS. See if you can go for these boards

Why're you settling for 256 MB RAM? Suggest you go for 512 MB minimum. If possible, go for 1 Gig

I also suggest a PSU # 400W minimum, with minimum 18Amps on the 12V rail

yes, i know amd is better for gaming, BUT i kinda tight at budget now.
im thinking of buying the stuff from Newegg.com

as u can see, amd is far more expensive then intel, somehow.

just compare, amd opteron 170 2.0ghz ($396.00) with Intel Pentium D 840 3.2ghz ($348.99)

tell me, isnt the ghz more important then the rest of the specs of a processor?

tell me why i shouldnt go for the pentium d which has greater ghz then the amd?

i use the pc for mild gaming and more to watching movies, listening to music, graphical interface applications and of course, surfing the net.

as for motherboards, i know msi is good, but i dont hear much positive feedbacks bout asus boards.

anyway, this cpu is supposed to be a budget pc, thats why im choosing this specs instead of higher.;)

please explain to me more about the dual-core processors ok.

i know amd opteron is the best dualcore rite now.

yes, i know amd is better for gaming, BUT i kinda tight at budget now.
im thinking of buying the stuff from Newegg.com

as u can see, amd is far more expensive then intel, somehow.

just compare, amd opteron 170 2.0ghz ($396.00) with Intel Pentium D 840 3.2ghz ($348.99)

An opteron is a server class CPU, so it's bound to be expensive. It's in the same league as an Intel Xeon. I was talking about the AMD Athlon64. It's substantially cheaper, is 64-bit. The PentiumD is dual core, but as you have mentioned, this is a budget PC, there isnt any point going for it. Settle for an Athlon64 would be my advice. FYI, the AMD Athlon64 is available in dual core too. Its called the Athlon64 X2.

tell me, isnt the ghz more important then the rest of the specs of a processor?

tell me why i shouldnt go for the pentium d which has greater ghz then the amd?

No, the clock speed (GHz) is not more important than the rest of the procesor specs. Various aspects of a processor contribute to the processor's performance, nit just the speed. Infact, these days, even Intel doesn't market their processors by the clock speed.

i use the pc for mild gaming and more to watching movies, listening to music, graphical interface applications and of course, surfing the net.

In this case, a Pentium D would be overkill for you

as for motherboards, i know msi is good, but i dont hear much positive feedbacks bout asus boards.

ASUS is a market leader in boards. True, there have been complaints, but that holds true for anyone, be it MSI, ASUS or Gigabyte. The choice is yours

anyway, this cpu is supposed to be a budget pc, thats why im choosing this specs instead of higher.;)

Even for a budget PC, I think your RAM is too little. Go for 512 minimum

Scrap that processor, get the single core 3.0 ghz lga 775 processor (about $180) and get a minimum of 1 gig ram. I promise you that you will have a faster machine for most uses if you have 1 gb ram and a slower processor than a faster processor and less ram. You can get a pair of 512 mb ddr sticks (1gb total) for about 80 bucks.

ok, and so, after listening many opinions of my friends and doing much research this couple of days, i've decided to scrap this budget spec.

ive recently decided to build a higher spec, actually, much updated.:cheesy:

though this specs gonna take me sometime to get suffificient funds, im satisfied with it as much so it could last me at least another 3 years.:eek:

however, some questions are circulating in my mind.

first of, can someone tell me what is ATAPI?

yea, the ATAPI interface of a media drive.

i was looking at this Pioneer 16X DVD±R DVD Burner With 5X DVD-RAM Read Black ATAPI Model DVR-111D

Ok, i've decided to get the ASUS P5LD2 Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 945P ATX Intel Motherboard

So, can u tell me if ATAPI is compatible with the mentioned mobo? Thanks in advance. And thanks goldeagle2005 & nizzy1115

ATAPI - Advanced Technology Attachment Packet Interface -- is a standard that all IDE drives follow. Hence, any mobo which has IDE ports will support ATAPI.

And yes, the DVD RW you selected is pretty good. I have an ASUS DRW-1608P2S, but that is nothing but a rebranded version of the Pioneer DR-111D.

And yes, the DVD RW you selected is pretty good. I have an ASUS DRW-1608P2S, but that is nothing but a rebranded version of the Pioneer DR-111D.

thx, ur help is much appreciated. now, im relieved that i know its compatible, coz thts the model of the burner i like. :cool: Pioneer rocks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.