I'm building my first computer, so far, so good. I noticed that my power supply has a 12 volt cable (square with 4 wires) and that my motherboard has a 12 volt jack. Am I supposed to put it in there or not. by the way I'm not talking about the main power source (the rectangle with 20 wires)

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

First, as always, consult the diagrams in the manual for your motherboard. I have a 12v connector on my board and i've never seen any need to use it.

Be careful about connecting any power cord to anything in the system unless you are SURE it belongs.

If I may ask, what is the make and model of that board you are using?

intel d865perl

by the way i hooked it in and now my computers running fine. (not that it failed before, i never tried)

Just looked in my mobo manual. The 4-wire is labeled as "ATX 12v" and the large plug is labeled as just "ATX". Not sure what they do aside from delivering power to something, but mine works fine with both.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.