I have an old IBM laptop 560X model 2640-60U. It has a Pentium 200MHZ processor with 96 Megs of ram. I have a Mobile CD PCMCIA CD Rom drive that I would like to use with this laptop. I do have a drivers floppy for this CD rom drive. I cannot get the CD rom drive to startup or spin. I have checked the power supply with a meter and it is fine.The laptop currently has windows 98 on it. The laptop boots up and seems to start loading the drivers and then just shuts down.

I tried a while back to install windows 2000 Pro on this laptop ,when the CD rom was working. On startup I get a dual boot choice of starting to windows 98 or 2000 Pro setup. If I select 2000 Pro setup it starts loading files to setup windows 2000 Pro from the hard drive. Then it comes up with , " setup cannot find a CD Rom drive. Setup cannot continue."
When I select windows 98 I get two messages: PCMCIA/ide adapter card service client service release 2.1 not found. card service client not found abandoning . It says this twice I would guess for both PCMCIA slots? Then it says Device driver not found MSCD001 ( cd rom drive?)

I went to the IBM website and downloaded and installed the Bios update for windows 2000. I also installed the cardsoft pcmcia drivers for dos. found here:hxxp://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=DSHY-3NPU8M

After installation of these two files I rebooted and got this:
Warning Microsoft windows 98 did not finish loading on the previous attempt and directs me to go into the safe mode.
IN safe mode when I go into Control panel , system properties, performance it says Compatibility- mode paging reduces overall system performance. Windows was unable to identify a real-mode driver or memory- resident program loaded in your Config.sys or autoexec.bat. These are the names of the drivers or programs causing the problem:
Drive A is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.
Drive C is using MS-DOS compatibility mode file system.
Because Windows could not identify the driver or program, it has switched to MS-DOS compatibility mode to ensure the program will run. File system: Some drives are using MS-DOS compatibility.
Virtual memory. MS-DOS compatibility mode. Disk compression not installed.
PC CARDS (PCMCIA) No PC card sockets are installed.

When I start up the laptop I get these choices:
1) Normal
2) Logged (BOOTLOG.TXT)
3) Safe Mode
4) Safe mode with networking
5) Step By step confirmation
6) Command prompt only
7) Safe mode command prompt only

In normal , when it starts loading drivers computer shuts down. I then tried option 5) Step By step confirmation. I then got this on the screen: Warning windows did not finish loading on the previous attempt. Choose safe mode to start windows with a minimal set of drivers.
On all the next steps it gave me a yes or no option of which I selected yes.
create a startup log file (BOOTLOG.TXT)
Process your startup device drivers (CONFIG.SYS)
DEVICE=C: \PICC\PICC.EXE
PCMCIA/IDE Adapter card service client ver 2.10 21:21:31 09/30/97
copyright (C) Quick-Serv. 1996-97 All rights reserved.
*** Card Service Release 2.1 not found
*** Abandon this loading Seems like this is where the problem is?

DEVICE=C: \PICC\PICD.EXE /D:MSCD001

PCMCIA/IDE CD-ROM Device Driver Ver 2.00 23:45: 04/14/97
copyright (C) Quick-Serv. 1996-97 All rights reserved.
*** Card Service Client not found
*** Abandon this loading The other CD rom driver issue?

DEVICE=C: \DOS\EMM386.EXE X=D000-D7FF

The following files are missing or corrupted: C: \DOS\EMM386.EXE
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 3
DEVICE=C:\CARDSOFT\CARDXTND.SYS

Systemsoft Cardsoft Loader/Extender Version 5.00.03
copyright 1996 Systemsoft corp. All rights reserved.
DEVICEHIGH=C:\CARDSOFT\SSCIRRUS.EXE(When I was installing the drivers it gave two other choices other than CIRRUS, I chose the default which was CIRRUS)Systemsoft Socket Services 5.01 CL-PD6710/20/22/29 version 3.1 (2661-06)
copywright 1993-1996 systemsoft corp. All rights reserved.
DEVICE=C: \CARDSOFT\SSCBTI.SYS /NUMADA:1 /ADA1SKTS:2
The following files are missing or corrupted: C: \CARDSOFT\SSCBTI.SYS
There is an error in your CONFIG.SYS file on line 7
DEVICE=C: \CARDSOFT\CS.SYS

Systemsoft Card Services 5.0 Version 5.00TE (2654-09)
copyright 1993-1998 Systemsoft corp. All Rights reserved.
DEVICEHIGH=C: \CARDSOFT\CSALLOC.EXE

Systemsoft Plug-and-PLay Card Services Allocation utility version 5.00 (5001-00)

DEVICEHIGH=C: \CARDSOFT\ATADRV.EXE
Systemsoft PCMCIA IDE disk driver version 1.12 (2178-14)
This driver installed as a character device for 4 unit(s).
The pseudo base is D:
Systemsoft EPM (tm) ATA client driver version 0.02.00
DEVICEHIGH=C: \CARDSOFT\MTAA.EXE

Systemsoft MTD AMD type A Flash Version 1.02 (2276-08)

DEVICEHIGH=C: \CARDSOFT\MTAB.EXE
Systemsoft MTD AMD type B/C/D flash version 1.03 (2276-13)

DEVICEHIGH=C: \CARDSOFT\MTI1.EXE
Systemsoft MTD intel series 1 Flash version 1.03 (2276-08)

Compression for MS-Flash drives is not enabled.

Here is the AUTOEXEC.BAT
C:\>SET PATH=C:\QTW
SET PATH=C:\QTW

C:\MSCDEX /D:MSCD001
MSCDEX /D:MSCD001
Device driver not found: MSCD001
No Valid CDROM driver selected.

Sorry for the long post. I rather give all info to hopefully get it resolved.

If needed I can include the drivers for the cd rom drive and AUTOEXEC.bat , BOOT.LOG and
SYS.CONFIG files.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

No one quick post is going to suffice here so I'll address the first few paragraphs to start with.
The system can't find the CD drive, your power is going TO the device, it just ISN'T circulating in it. When the system can't find the physical device it won't load any drivers, hence, "Device driver not found MSCD001". If the system can't find the device the OS won't either.

No one quick post is going to suffice here so I'll address the first few paragraphs to start with.
The system can't find the CD drive, your power is going TO the device, it just ISN'T circulating in it. When the system can't find the physical device it won't load any drivers, hence, "Device driver not found MSCD001". If the system can't find the device the OS won't either.

Thank Mechbas for your help. That makes sence to me. The question is where do I start to get this fixed so I can install windows 2000?}

Thanks.

If you can get the CD to work with another machine maybe not much to do. Otherwise, unless you put a big chunk into the drive, repairs probably aren't worth the effort in time or $$$. Most CDR/DVDR drives are basically of the throw away variety.

If you can get the CD to work with another machine maybe not much to do. Otherwise, unless you put a big chunk into the drive, repairs probably aren't worth the effort in time or $$$. Most CDR/DVDR drives are basically of the throw away variety.

Thanks mechbas for the help. I was not able to get the CD rom to work on another laptop. I found an IBM PCMCIA cd rom drive on ebay. Should be here ian a couple of days. Will try with that one. I will post back results.

I found an old IBM CD-Rom drive on ebay cheap. I created the Bootdisks for windows 2000 and booted from them. When the bootdisks installed the drivers for the CD-rom I was ablre to finish installing windows 2000 with the CD rom drive.

The only issue I am having with the one that has windows 2000 in is that I cannot get the on board serial port to work. It says it has a conflict and I see that the in fared port was using same IRQ. So I disabled it but it still seem to have an issue. Thanks for all your help.

Are BOTH serial ports active, assigned the SAME serial port #? By default, each serial port is assigned a matching IRQ.

Are BOTH serial ports active, assigned the SAME serial port #? By default, each serial port is assigned a matching IRQ.

There is only one serial port. After installing the 4 service packs for windows 2000 the serial port is fine. It calls it com 2 but that is OK. Thanks a lot for your , greatly appreciated.:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.