I recently installed a new graphics card (128 mb radeon 9800 pro) and in the process, I moved my network card because it was sort of in the way. Upon rebooting after everything was in, I noticed the light on the back on my wirless card was on, so it was getting power. However, by the time i got to the desktop, it was not recognizing the wireless card. At first, I thought it was something to do with the slot i put it in. But, after further testing, it appears all my pci slots are now dead (the light on the back on my wireless card doesnt work now) including my sound card and wireless card. I am currently running on usb headset and wireless card.

By the way, i put my old card in again thinking it was a power drain or something since my new card is a power hog compared to my mx 420. However, this did not fix anything, the pci slots were still acting dead.

Also, midway through my problems, when i got out the case again to open it, I opened it and looked on the floor and noticed some piece there. It is about one cubic centimer in size, maybe smaller, and looks like a heatsink (9 prongs sticking out of it, looks like an E when you look at it from the side. On the bottom of it is some glue with an outline of a rectangle in it, which looks to be about the size of one of any number of chips on my board). However, it feels like plastic, not metal, so I have no clue what it was doing in the first place. I was hoping it was something from the case since it snapped a little in the back when I was trying to close it earlier and was a little angry :rolleyes: . However, I'm pretty sure its what is causing my pci slot problems. My agp slot, hard drive, ram, etc. all work fine, just none of the pci slots are getting power (they arent reading anything).

I don't know what motherboard I have and am not at my computer at the moment. Its a dell computer, dimension 8500 i think, but i'll check on that later. Anyways, i've looked for motherboard pictures online and havent seen this piece anywhere on them, so maybe its not from the motherboard. I'm just really confused because everything else works fine and my computer runs fine, its just the pci slots are all completely busted.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I recently installed a new graphics card (128 mb radeon 9800 pro) and in the process, I moved my network card because it was sort of in the way. Upon rebooting after everything was in, I noticed the light on the back on my wirless card was on, so it was getting power. However, by the time i got to the desktop, it was not recognizing the wireless card. At first, I thought it was something to do with the slot i put it in. But, after further testing, it appears all my pci slots are now dead (the light on the back on my wireless card doesnt work now) including my sound card and wireless card. I am currently running on usb headset and wireless card.

By the way, i put my old card in again thinking it was a power drain or something since my new card is a power hog compared to my mx 420. However, this did not fix anything, the pci slots were still acting dead.

Also, midway through my problems, when i got out the case again to open it, I opened it and looked on the floor and noticed some piece there. It is about one cubic centimer in size, maybe smaller, and looks like a heatsink (9 prongs sticking out of it, looks like an E when you look at it from the side. On the bottom of it is some glue with an outline of a rectangle in it, which looks to be about the size of one of any number of chips on my board). However, it feels like plastic, not metal, so I have no clue what it was doing in the first place. I was hoping it was something from the case since it snapped a little in the back when I was trying to close it earlier and was a little angry :rolleyes: . However, I'm pretty sure its what is causing my pci slot problems. My agp slot, hard drive, ram, etc. all work fine, just none of the pci slots are getting power (they arent reading anything).

I don't know what motherboard I have and am not at my computer at the moment. Its a dell computer, dimension 8500 i think, but i'll check on that later. Anyways, i've looked for motherboard pictures online and havent seen this piece anywhere on them, so maybe its not from the motherboard. I'm just really confused because everything else works fine and my computer runs fine, its just the pci slots are all completely busted.

Or maybe it might be from the board or the graphics card. it sounds as though it might be one of the chips - which tend to be silicon. not knowing what your mobo is doesnt really help at the end of the day. email me a clear photo of your board and if you can a photo of the particular piece.

in the meantime it sounds as though you need a new mobo. if ALL the pci slots are dead this is your best cure. however, strange as this might sound have you actually tried ridding them of dust and cleaning the edge connectors on the cards. sometimes dust can cause no manner of faults.

have a go at cleaning them
j:cool:

I did have a pc come in for repair that had some bent mangled connectors where the pci cards slip in.

Took awhile to find it..

I ended up taking a business card folding it and slipping it into the slot to keep the pins apart.

Just give them a good looking over when you have it open

It turns out my graphics card was defective and the piece was from there, it just wasn't properly attached. I don't know how that could cause my graphics card to work fine, but all my PCI slots to die soon after booting up. So, I'm just going to get it replaced, and then buy a new case, motherboard, processor, and ram, and then build a computer out of this new stuff and some of my old stuff (cd players, hard drive, monitor, speakers, hopefully sound and network card, unless they are fried from this). I wasn't planning on getting a new computer for at least another year, but when I decided to upgrade my RAM, I found out the dimension 8250 series that I have takes RDRAM only, which would cost me almost 200 dollars for 2x256mb sticks. So, I'm just gonna spend twice that and end up with a new computer.

I just picked up a new PC from Frys' for $399
It was a backup for my wifes office PC and they didnt give any real specs on it but it turned out to be better than expected.

It is Intel P4 3ghz, 256 megs of Ram, It has SATA ports but has an IDE type 80 gig drive, It has an some spare PCI slots and an AGP slot but uses built in video, and it has a DVD burner. (Includes XP Home)

It is a very decent base unit on which to build.

If I dropped in the AGP card, 256 megs and SATA drive I have sitting here it would be a nice little rig.

The only negative thing I have to say is that the case fan is a little loud.. Easy enough to fix

I just picked up a new PC from Frys' for $399
It was a backup for my wifes office PC and they didnt give any real specs on it but it turned out to be better than expected.

It is Intel P4 3ghz, 256 megs of Ram, It has SATA ports but has an IDE type 80 gig drive, It has an some spare PCI slots and an AGP slot but uses built in video, and it has a DVD burner. (Includes XP Home)

It is a very decent base unit on which to build.

If I dropped in the AGP card, 256 megs and SATA drive I have sitting here it would be a nice little rig.

The only negative thing I have to say is that the case fan is a little loud.. Easy enough to fix

sounds like u got yourself a bargain then!! go get a radion 9500 series graphics card. they're good for bargain price pc's:cool:

Hi,
I hope someone can help me sort this out without being too technical.
I recently installed a new power supply. Everything seemed to be working fine and then Windows XP crashed. I formatted my hard drive and reinstalled windows. Since then my PCI slots are all dead. I have rechecked all the connections from the power supply to check if some are missing but everything is exactly as it should be. I have reinstalled all the drivers for the mother board but the problem is still there. Why has this happened and how can I reactivate my PCI slots?
pturner@xtra.co.nz

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.