Hi

Simple problem Drive C is running out of space. Easy solution buy a new hard drive and copy everything to the new drive. Simple? a nightmare!

I have bought a larger HDD a Seagate 250GB and want to use that as a replacement for my existing 60GB WD HDD. I have a Dell 8200 1.8 ghz P4 of 2001 vintage running XP Pro SP3. It has an additional 80GB HDD (which is used mainly for daily backups of Drive C and has two external USB Lacie drives which are used for storing photos and reference material. My PC is protected by Windows firewall & Defender & AVG 8 Auto Update is in operation.

I used Ghost 9.0 and connected the new drive using a USB 2 to Ide cable kit. I copied drive C but forgot to copy the Dell utility to the new drive. But did copy it after copying the main partition. (I read somewhere to leave the new drive as hidden so as to not alter the drive letters and thought that it would be better to keep the Lacies on). I am fairly sure that I selected Copy MBR but can't be sure now. I next used Norton partition Magic 8 to move the Dell utility to the first location on the drive. The rest of the new drive's space was unallocated.

When I swopped the C drive for the new drive the system won't boot. I tried all sorts of permutations and then had difficulty even accessing the drive. I used Knoppix and was able to accesss the drive after being told that the NFTS is unclean! I used the ntfsfix command.

Afterwards I was able to see the new drive connected as before using the USB kit. It still wouldn't boot so I then used NP Magic again and made the drive un-hidden. It was then automatically assigned the drive letter H which is correct. I then swopped the new for the old and tried to reboot without success. There are two options to boot Winxp and Winxp #1. I presume that the second option the one marked #1 would entail connecting the new HDD to the USB kit and have not tried that. i don't know whether the system can identify a different instance of WinXP and won't boot from the new HDD because of that when the new drive is in the place of the old Drive C.

I checked in Setup that the HDDs are being correctly identified and they are. I next ran the Ghost disk in diagnostic mode and used Norton Disk Doctor to check the drives -they passed ok but the new 250GB .C Drive was still identified as being only 60GB but then the rest of the space is unallocated so that might not be an error. Next I ran the XP Installation disk and selected Repair. It went through the repair but the PC still wouldn't boot. I then ran the XP disk again in Console mode and did a CHKDSK then used FIXMBR, the system reported that the MBR was a non-standard or invalid MBR so I went ahead and the MBR was replaced. I next tried to boot up and the PC still wouldn't get past two beeps and "F1 to retry or F2 to enter Setup"

I have now replaced the original HDD and the PC boots up ok. Fortunately I have a laptop so I can research the web and still receive email etc.

I don't know what to do next? Should I Format/S the new drive when its connected to the PC with the USB kit and try to copy the C Drive again with Ghost? I did try copying without formating but ghost wouldn't do the copy -as there was not enough space - it wouldn't overwrite the old copy. Or could I simply delete the partitions using Partition Magic and then use Ghost to copy Drive C again. Or is there some other factor that is preventing the boot up?

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

If it didnt copy the MBR, you can reinstall it using your XP cds recovery console.

Don't bother using the recovery CDs, just start from scratch. Format the new drive, ghost it again being sure to transfer everything and set it as bootable with the MBR.

The problem either came from missing the MBR or confused it when you transfered the hp utility separately.

yes jbennet I did rewrite the MBR

Don't bother using the recovery CDs, just start from scratch. Format the new drive, ghost it again being sure to transfer everything and set it as bootable with the MBR.

The problem either came from missing the MBR or confused it when you transfered the hp utility separately.

Thanks OlyComputers.

using fixmbr and fixboot?

using fixmbr and fixboot?

Yes used fixboot as well. I was advised somewhere to use dskchk then fixmbr then fixboot. At present I am formating the new drive as OlyComputers suggested. The Dell uses cable select but to get the USB to Ide cable kit to work with the Seagate the jumper has to be set to Master. When I replaced the old C drive I changed the jumper on the new drive to Cable Select. So it should have been detected.

Thanks OlyComputers.

i

Hi
I started from scratch. The format seemed to go ok but terminated with "the format did not complete successfully" after 90 odd per cent! I checked with Partition Magic which reported that the drive was unformatted! and that it was unable to "enumerate the current drive on this system". However in Computer Management the disk is declared as "healthy"

I next copied the C Drive and Dell partition using ghost. I did not select rewrite MBR and make disk Active for the Dell Untilities -as I thought I had done that before. I then copied the C drive with "make active" and "MBR".

It looks like I did not make "everthing bootable with the MBR" as advised! as the subsequent update didn't work!

I installed the new drive and booted up. It got as far as the Windows XP opening screen and then stopped. I then decided (after 20 minutes) to re-boot with the Ghost disk and opted for Restore Drive. The backed up drive was then restored to the C drive -the new drive - without any problems.!!

Maybe I could have just replaced the old drive with the new drive and restored the Ghost backup directly to the new drive from the Ghost CD. If so there is nothing in the Ghost
Manual to indicate that is what I should have done.

Thanks for everyone who helped with this problem!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.