Ok I've got a Toshiba Satellite M65 that is giving me some serious problems. It's currently an XP SP3 machine. Whats going on is I've got a Matsushita DVD RAM Multi drive installed. It used to burn dvd's and Cd's. For some reason unbeknownst to me, it stopped burning dvd's altogether, and now will only burn cd's sporadically. Sometimes I'll get a good cd burn, most times it's a corrupted disc. I have tried installing 2 new drives. One was a Toshiba slimline DVD burner, Windows recognized it and installed generic drivers for it. The drive was ordered from a wholesaler, so it did not come with any software i.e. drivers. I looked online and the only thing I could find for it was a firmware update. This did not help the situation. While this drive would recognize and install, it would not burn anything, and it would not read DVD's only CD's. So i sent that back. I now have a Phillips lightscribe dvd burner that will not even recognize in windows. I slip it in and it's like nothing is in there. I'm not entirely sure this is the right area for this post but I could not find a discussion group for optical drives anywhere. What I need help with is figuring out what the problem is. I'm not sure if it's my SATA connector on the laptop or what. I would appreciate any assistance provided.

Thanks,
Garrett

Optical drives in laptops are really proprietary. There's no guarantee that any drive, other than the model it shipped with, will work properly. Did you make sure to check compatibility on this Phillips drive?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.