Would I be able to use this adapter to add my old ATA HDD to my new HP computer. I want to be able to transfer my files. Also, if I can use this adapter, will the computer know to boot up from the SATA HDD?

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Serial-ATA-Adapter-SATA2ATA133/dp/B0001MVMPE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1228285287&sr=1-1

Thanks, Den

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

Yea, you could but why?
Depends on BIOS capability.

Yea, you could but why?
Depends on BIOS capability.

Could you elaborate please?

You didn't note as to laptop or desktop to begin with?

Perhaps I wasn't clear in my first post. I want to install the older type HHD (ATA, IDE ?) from my old PC into my new PC so I can access the files.

Wasn't sure what exactly you wanted to do.
If you can make a valid hardware connection then the BIOS on the mobo or a adapter such as or similar to a RAID will provide hardware support.
The OS shouldn't have any prob. either. if win9x or higher sees the new hardware it should load the necessary drivers w/o your assistance.
Method of file xfer etc. is up to you.

Thanks for your interesting response. I will highlight the parts that I didn't understand.

If you can make a valid hardware connection then the BIOS on the mobo or a adapter such as or similar to a RAID will provide hardware support.The OS shouldn't have any prob. either. if win9x or higher sees the new hardware it should load the necessary drivers w/o your assistance.
Method of file xfer etc. is up to you.

Also, will the computer continue to boot from it's own HDD? Or, asked another way, how do I ensure that the computer boots from its original HDD?

First of all, this is SATA-to-ATA adapter.. you need ATA-to-SATA, and you need it only if there are no vacant IDE ports available. (2 channels=4 drives).

When you plug the drive in, and if it is propperly set (as SATA it must be set as master) your BIOS should recognize it, given that the SATA port the drive is plugged in isn't disabled and it is set to "auto".

Your BIOS should have Hard drive boot priority settings (not the boot sequence!). That is where you'll make sure that the system doesn't boot from a wrong HD.

Best practice is to set all of the HD configrations on "auto". The draw-back is that it takes few seconds longer to boot.

"Method of file xfer etc. is up to you."
Once you get the Operating System, (W2K, ME, XP) booted to Desktop there are several different ways to read, transfer, manipulate your files.

Adapter wasn't needed. It turned out there was a slot for the old HDD ribbon to plug into.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.