I am a software developer and I own a desktop as well as a laptop. Mostly I use the desktop as it is better in performance and has a better configuration then the laptop. But when I have to give a demo to the customer I have to take my laptop with me. Also at night I like to use the laptop on my bed (I know this is a bad practice, but I do so only occasionally). During such times, I copy the latest version of the programs(sourcecode) and transfer it between both machines using the network. I find the regular copy paste job boring.

I am considering to buy an external harddisk (of around 160 GB capacity) and keep all me ebooks, programming tools, programming tutorials, tips collection AND ALL SOURCODES on the external drive. This will enable me to work from either the desktop or laptop without having to copy the required files between them. I will just attach the external harddisk to desktop/laptop and continue working.

Is it a good idea to use an external harddisk as a regular internal drive??

Please guide me.

Thank you.

Lalit Kumar Barik

Recommended Answers

All 16 Replies

There's no problem that I know of, except to exercise care not to mistreat the drive while moving it around.
You might find a 2.5" portable more convenient.

i suggest you use dvd disc or either thumb drive.. no problem with external hdd but as said by Hughv must be careful..mishandling the hdd will loss all your data..

but if you're dealing with files which disc, thumbdrive got limitations.. why not setup an ftp site.. but in the place you're going must have an internet access..

cool.... much better that USB drive...

I could have used a high capacity USB/Thumb/Pen Drive to hold my source codes or tutorials/ebooks collection and use it on any system (laptop/desktop/netbook) I need. But from my experience I have found that, if heavy read/write operations are performed on the USB/Thumb/Pen Drive regularly, it tends to develop bad sector over time. Hence they are not very reliable over the long run. An external HDD will solve those problems, give much more storage capacity and also can be more convenient (if proper care is taken). I think I will go with it.

Thanks for your replies.

Lalit Kumar Barik

i use a 40 GIG LAPTOP DRIVE IN A usb EXTERNAL CASE all the time to carry files/programs ,and in my opinion are more reliable than my thumbdrive i have had over time!

@"caperjack", Which one will be better in terms of performance, reliability and portability? A regular external HDD like from Seagate/Iomega etc. or a Laptop HDD in a casing? I am not asking about a particular brand or model as I will have to choose from locally available units, just comment or the difference in general.

Thanks.

Lalit Kumar Barik

Will be fine for data, just dont try and install windows on it, it wont like it.

A laptop HDD in an enclosure will be smaller and (may) not require external power.

Will be fine for data, just dont try and install windows on it, it wont like it.

A laptop HDD in an enclosure will be smaller and (may) not require external power.

agree !
my laptop harddrive case has 2 usb plugs one for data one for power! i paid 25$ cdn for enclosure and picked up a 40gig hdd for free !

Yeah at my old work we used to sell (it was a maxtor, wd or a seagate but dont know which). One was a full-sized 250gb usb disk and required power, the other was the same price laptop-size usb disk which drew its power from a usb port but was only 120gb

They were like £60

As was already suggested. Recommend a 2.5" external hard drive. 2.5" is laptop size, so most are self-powered by USB alone. You may have to monkey with your laptop to make it properly provide power over USB when not plugged into the power adapter.

Be sure to back-up your external drive. I use a 2.5" external for portability and a 3.5" external for archiving. I can already hear the 3.5" ext clicking a little, so time to shop around for a replacement..

I have an external seagate 160 gb drive that I did not unplug correctly, apparently and now, although there is data on it and programs, it wants to format the drive and I can't seem to open any of the files on it. I know that reformatting it will wipe all the stuff on it. Is there anyway I can recover this info?

cfannie

I have an external seagate 160 gb drive that I did not unplug correctly, apparently and now, although there is data on it and programs, it wants to format the drive and I can't seem to open any of the files on it. I know that reformatting it will wipe all the stuff on it. Is there anyway I can recover this info?

cfannie

As this post has be marked "solved", would be better to start a new post

To give a quick response, this is exactly why I don't buy a USB-powered external drive, as they all seem to be so darn fragile, and a lot more prone to corruption. My WD 500GB (studio edition) has been disconnected "improperly" I don't know how many times (power failure, knocking the connection out, tripping over power cord etc.), and never a corruption of any kind.

Installing programs to an external drive, although quite allowed, is never a good idea as can mess with your system if external drive crashes - eps if those programs are running!

As to accessing files, either try plugging device into another computer (will sometimes let you get away with it), or DL, burn and boot from a Linux Live disc, as may well give you access to those files you need to recover.

Is easily enough achieved, as long as your PC supports the "boot from USB" option. Wouldn't even consider on a non-powered HDD, and needs to be done in a fashion that doesn't add the installed OS to your local HDD's boot-manager, or all hell can break loose if external drive is not connected.

As this post has be marked "solved", would be better to start a new post

I just joined this site and am not sure how to start a new post. Thank you for your info.

Go into the appropriate forum heading and click on the "start new thread" button ;)

@"caperjack", Which one will be better in terms of performance, reliability and portability? A regular external HDD like from Seagate/Iomega etc. or a Laptop HDD in a casing? I am not asking about a particular brand or model as I will have to choose from locally available units, just comment or the difference in general.

Thanks.

Lalit Kumar Barik

You can try these two
WD My Book Essential
WD My Book Studio Edition II
These guys will answer all your External HDD related questions also!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.