Hi,
My computer has a Asus A7N8x-E board and has 2 SATA drives. One (80GB)has XP as the OS and the other 120GB has no OS, i use it to store data. Both SATA's are from Seagate.

Now, my older computer PII 450Mhz has a IDE WD Caviar SE 120GB with XP as the OS and is on a Controller Card. When setting up this drive a year ago i had to use WD Lifeguard 11 software in order to reconize the 120GB.

I want to move this WD Caviar SE 120GB to my newer computer having the SATA's.

Note: When setting up the SATA's i used the software provided with the ASUS board mfg to load the SATA drivers.

When i install the WD drive to the IDE channel as a primary master and do the auto search via the Bios, it is easlily detected. So i save my settings and reboot.

I get a blue screen saying wrong hardware and a bunch of numbers.

Am i missing something that should be done in the bios, are the sata drivers blocking this IDE, should i also move the controller card from my older computer, there are 2 identical OS, one on the sata and the other on the IDE.

I only need to get data of this IDE drive and not the OS.

After a few attemps with the Jumpers back of drive, i somtimes got MBR Error 3.
I also tried to disconnect both SATA'S and leave only the IDE, it is reconized on boot ,but it stops asking for a floppy..

So, moving this drive is a problem.

Thanks all replies are welcome.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

What you are missing is the fact that you cannot move a drive with Windows XP installed on it to another system. It must be freshly installed with Windows XP so that it can be used. That's part of the copyright protection in place - Windows Product Activation.

Secondly, if the drive has been installed with Data Lifeguard Tools, that program should be used to undo the changes made to it, so it can be used again in a system which can recognise the full capacity of the drive.

Get the version of DLT which runs from floppy disk, I'd suggest, remove the drive overlay setup from it, partition and format it again then install Windows XP cleanly to it.

Hey, Thanks Catweazle, makes sense.
But what about my data, this 120Gb drive is loaded.
I need to get to my data.
Would using a CAT 5 crossover cable to transfer some of the 120 GB data from my old PII 450Mhz WD Caviar IDE drive to my newer system on my SATA data drive?

Yes, it should. that's the approach I'd take anyway. copy the data across as a file transfer and then get to work on the drive.

I'm not really sure about the procedures with DLT. I'd suggest you make good use of the WD website and read up about it. I know there's lots of information there in FAQs and their knowledge base, as well as in the DLT section of the website.

Thanks for the answer. Can't i just plug the IDE in the Asus board and block the XP OS some way on the drive just to pickup the data.
Just like when u install a new drive with no OS on it as a secondary drive, obviously the primary has the OS.

Quite a few motherboards enjoy switching boot drive preference to PATA when you plug one in, which is what's happening here (it's a royal pain, and has happened to me a number of times). You need to head into the BIOS and change the priority to the 80Gb SATA drive.

Thanks Coconut Monkey,
In my Bios, i can see HDD0, HDD1, HDD2..... as a choice for booting, as well as Floppy CD-Rom.

How do i tell the bios that HDD0 is my SATA 80GB? for it to be prioriy.

Am i right to say that HDD0 is the priority drive?

Hello all,
Am new here, I have a problem. I have a Dell PC with a SATA Drive (Win 7) and have been trying to hook up my old ide drive using a converter. But the bios and windows dont see the old drive (120GB Samsung) The converter is an RXD639. The drive is getting power but i notice there seems to be an LED on the converter and it doesnt light. Furthermore in the Bios (recently updated) the only options to configure the drives is for IDE & RAID. Can anyone help please
Regards
Nalyom

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.