I bought a Seagate 7200.11 SD15A Firmware 500GBhard drive last December. Just today when I turned on the PC it got bricked i.e BIOS cannot detect it, for no reason and hangs at boot when I turn on autodetection of drives.

I am guessing it is the dreaded BSY bug which still plagues people today.

There is a firmware update fix however, but first I need to make the drive accessible via BIOS, the methods currently out there however, might be too risky and I still have my warranty.

Now my question is, since I lost my original antistatic bag, what can I substitute for it so that I can safely carry this harddrive to shop since it still has warranty?

Right now, I am using my old 80GB WD hard drive. I don't know if I will ever buy from Seagate again.

I also would also like to know your opinion on what is a good hd brand I can rely on, for my future purchase, esp. in the 1.5TB or more range.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

hi, i like seagate ,I just don't like big harddrives .
as for antistatic bag ,i have safely use nothing for years,or just a plastic freezer bag.
also most drives are not warranted by shop but have to be sent back to segate,and they only accept them in static bag and well padded cardboard box

@caperjack:

Thanks for the fast reply.

The shop did not give me any box when I bought it, so I think it would be ok.

Won't I get blamed by the shop for not using antistatic protection to carry these drives?

By the way, what with the dislike towards big harddrives?

@caperjack:

Thanks for the fast reply.

The shop did not give me any box when I bought it, so I think it would be ok.

no ,but seagates expects it to be in one if you have to send it back

Won't I get blamed by the shop for not using antistatic protection to carry these drives?

they sure might ,if want to be nasty and try and blame the problem on you i guess, so maybe go to the shop first and get a bag from them

By the way, what with the dislike towards big harddrives?

just see to many go bad ,I thing better not bigger is the way they should be going ,cant imagine why i would need a 500 gig drive ,i have a 160g ,giving me problem right now ,liked my 80gig better

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.