I have a Compaq model 5835 w/celeron processor running Win98. The hard drive crashed, something came loose inside the drive. I replaced the drive with a good one from another computer, with Windows ME o/s. When I boot the computer, I get the 1782 Disk Controller Failure message, and I'm given two options. F1 to boot computer, or F10 to enter setup. Either option works. F10 enters setup mode, where I have reset the default values, and F1 boots the computer, after which everything works fine. The only hang up is at boot. I can't seem to get rid of the error message and the F1 and F10 options. I have moved the jumper to reset the bios on the MB, but I still get the same error message. Device manager says the primary and secondary hard disk controllers are working properly. When I boot, using the F1 option, the hard disk spins up, loads the o/s and all is well. If the disk controller was bad, would it still do this? Is there a way to reset or somehow get rid of the error message so the computer would boot without going through the F1 option? If the disk controller has failed, can I install an IDE controller card in a PCI slot and bypass the onboard controller? Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks for your help!

seniorchief

Hi Seniorchief,

I have a way to resolve your problem,
You Just remove the CMOS battery from system board and boot once after booting shutdown your system and insert the battery back, again start your system and press F1 next time it won't ask you for pressing F1. And you will not get the error controller disk failure.
I hope it will help you.

Thank you very much!

hi i had that error but i got more after i rebooted my system

like date and time not set
i pressed F1 and booted the system but

non system disk or disk error
i dunno wots up wif it

i also got many other errors

keyboard error 601

I replaced HDD in my Compaq, and I had a similar problem. I fixed it by removing the jumper from the HDD, which was set on Master. That HDD did not like being a Master, when it was alone on the cable.

Wako

Hi Seniorchief,

I have a way to resolve your problem,
You Just remove the CMOS battery from system board and boot once after booting shutdown your system and insert the battery back, again start your system and press F1 next time it won't ask you for pressing F1. And you will not get the error controller disk failure.
I hope it will help you.

My father is having a similar issue with his milling machine, so I'm definitely going to try this out. :D

dude, all you have to do is remove the jumper located at your hard disk unit. Then return the hard disk to your laptop. After that, close again the laptop power and return the jumper to its original location. Try to open again... MABUHAY!!! disk controller failure is now fixed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.