Hi,

I need some help on how to slave my hard drive sata from my laptop into my desktop,because my laptop hard drive is bad so i need to slave this into my desktop so that i can still recover some of the data...but when i looked at in my pc desktop the power cable is only two for the hard drive and for the optical drive...but how can i put power on the laptop hard drive.can i remove the power cable of my dvdrom so that i can slave now my hard drive sata to the desktop...i am confuse i need some assistance on this...

Thank you in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I have a StarTech sata dock, remove my drive from the laptop, and plug it into the dock. Voila! Instant connection to the desktop. The doc has 2 ports that handle both 2.5 and 3.5" drives, as well as esata and USB connections. Other than the interface cable (the dock comes with both esata and usb cables), no cables (power or otherwise) are required. Of course it has a power brick, but the dock deals with the drive connections internally. Just slide the drive into one of the ports, turn on that port, and assuming you already have the dock connected to the desktop, it is live.

I have a StarTech sata dock, remove my drive from the laptop, and plug it into the dock. Voila! Instant connection to the desktop. The doc has 2 ports that handle both 2.5 and 3.5" drives, as well as esata and USB connections. Other than the interface cable (the dock comes with both esata and usb cables), no cables (power or otherwise) are required. Of course it has a power brick, but the dock deals with the drive connections internally. Just slide the drive into one of the ports, turn on that port, and assuming you already have the dock connected to the desktop, it is live.

Hi Thank you for the reply,

what is sata dock can you give me some screen shot,i have not yet experience in doing this
slave...can you show me some screenshot please...

Best Regards,

Jemz

Glad to help and that you got it working. I use this dock a lot to remove viruses from client system drives, as well as just to plug in a backup disc to make system images and such. Works a treat. I use the esata connection instead of USB because it is a LOT faster! :-)

Glad to help and that you got it working. I use this dock a lot to remove viruses from client system drives, as well as just to plug in a backup disc to make system images and such. Works a treat. I use the esata connection instead of USB because it is a LOT faster! :-)

Yes,Thank you so much for helping me...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.