I’m not sure if this is a Hardware or Software problem. I apologize if I have posted this in the wrong forum.

When I burn a CD from the music on my windows media player, the burned CD will only play on a computer! So that means my burner is working correct? They will not play on my stereo, or anyone else’s CD players, including the newer ones. So the mystery is, why are my burned CD’s only playing in a computer???

It's been awhile since I burned a CD, but when I did, I did not have this problem. I had always used windows media player in the past.

INFO: I have dial up and I use windows XP. I tried burning with windows media player, and real player, and both will only play on a computer. I’m burning on audio and not mp3, and I’m using regular CD-R’s. All my music is in wma format. I do not have mp3 anywhere on my computer, and I have never downloaded any music from the Internet if that helps any. I made sure the box was checked on the C drive to send the files to the temporary files folder to be burned on the disc. I looked at my Device Manager and it says my burner is working properly. The selection I have on my properties for burning are WMA, WMA (Variable bit rate), WMA Lossless, and MPEG Layer-3. There is no selection for WAV (Windows Audio File) There is no free space or used space on my burner, but it shows this same thing for the DVD player and my Floppy drive, so I don’t think that has nothing to do with it. I ran the Hardware Update Wizard, and it said it could not find a better match for my CD-RW than the software already installed. I tried cleaning my Disc (Disc Cleanup) and I ran the Disc Defragmenter to see if that would free up some space if that was the problem. All this, and I still haven’t figured this out.

I went to the windows media player site, and it talked about how it converts .wma to PCM (pulse code modulation) in order for it to play on a regular CD player, I assume this is what is meant when it “Finalizes or “Closes the disc. Is there a way to check my burner to see if it is doing this before I attempt to burn another disc? It says its working properly. Are there measures I can take to make sure my burner is working correctly before I attempt to burn another CD other than just going by it telling me its working properly?

I was in Hurricane Katrina, and have moved away from there. All of my belongings and CD's are still in storage there. Luckily I had put the CD’s I bought at the store on my computer, or I wouldn’t have anything to listen to. But as most of you know, computer speakers kinda suck, so it would be nice to be able to burn a few so I could listen to them on the little stereo someone gave me.

I would really appreciate if someone could walk me through this. I don’t know what’s going on! I have done everything I know to do. Please Help!
Thanks a bunch.

~ladybelle~

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Even though it seems like you're doing everything correctly, this still sounds like the classic problem of burning the CDs in the wrong format.

Let's verify a couple of things:

1. When you reinsert one of your burned "audio" cds into your computer's CD drive, how does Windows Explorer identify the drive/disk? Does the drive have the icon of a disc with a musical note on it? Is the disc identified as "Audio CD"?

2. When you view the contents of the disc in Windows Explorer, how are the tracks named and what does Explorer list in their "type" column?

Thank you so much for your reply. All of the CD's I had burned with in the past were Sony, and thats what I tried to burn with. However, I bought some memorex this time, and now it is burning just fine. I dont understand that, but I'm happy about it. At least I'm burning music now. Heck, maybe I was burning on Data before I posted for all this help, and just didnt realize it. So for now, my Burner is working. Thanks for helping.
~ladybelle~

I don't understand it either, but I'm glad you got it working. :)

uve got to load the disk that comes with ur mp3, then it should be very easy

burn things with Nero software

i am having this same problem and don't know how to fix it.
one night my burner stopped working and i called dell and they installed an update i think because they fixed the burner so that it worked. however now when i burn cd's they can only be read on my computer and not in my car or dvd player or even my stereo. before when i burned a cd using a blank cd-r i had no problem playing it anywhere.
i think this may be a case of burning in the wrong format but i am not sure. is there anything you can do to help me. i would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Even though it seems like you're doing everything correctly, this still sounds like the classic problem of burning the CDs in the wrong format.

Let's verify a couple of things:

1. When you reinsert one of your burned "audio" cds into your computer's CD drive, how does Windows Explorer identify the drive/disk? Does the drive have the icon of a disc with a musical note on it? Is the disc identified as "Audio CD"?

2. When you view the contents of the disc in Windows Explorer, how are the tracks named and what does Explorer list in their "type" column?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.