Hi all,

I have recently connected a second sata drive to my motherboard. It powers up and is listed as working properly in XPs "device manager" however it does not appear in the "disc management" list. As such I can not use it. I'm pretty sure it has to be formatted but as I can't "find" it, I can't do this.

The driver is up-to-date and it also appears in my BIOS.

Any tips will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I'm currently experiencing a similar problem, so please keep me posted if you find a solution. Does it show in your "My Computer" window? Mine does not.

I'm currently experiencing a similar problem, so please keep me posted if you find a solution. Does it show in your "My Computer" window? Mine does not.

It doesn't.

so go to disk management, there you can see your new drive is colored black it means it's unallocated, so you click the right button on it and choose make a partition or something like this(i don't remember) and follow the proccess.

so go to disk management, there you can see your new drive is colored black it means it's unallocated, so you click the right button on it and choose make a partition or something like this(i don't remember) and follow the proccess.

The new drive does not appear in 'disc management'.

Fun times ahead if you encounter this problem again...

This is for my HD, which is from Western Digital.

Title: Problems are encountered when installing Second Generation Serial ATA hard drives on First Generation Serial ATA controllers.
URL: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1337&p_created=1112379341

First, you need to enable your SATA controller on your motherboard, either through your BIOS or jumper settings on your motherboard. Also, make sure your boot sequence in your BIOS is set to boot from CD-ROM, floppy, and hard drive.

Second, Make sure the jumper for the Hard Drive is all the way to the right next to the legacy power connector, on pins 1-2.

Third, you can use either the legacy power or SATA power which will not make a difference. However, do not connect both at once or the drive could be damaged and you could void the warranty on the drive.

Title: How to install, partition, and format a Serial ATA drive in Windows XP.
URL: http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1003&p_created=1054584886

I have excately the same problem, even posted my question. I dont think your answer will work.

Mine was working fine when i had a dual boot system but then i reinstalled WinX64 and it does not show at all. In my Device Manager it says that i need to install "Raid Controller", which i have try to do using the correct drivers i got from Asus website x64 version and it says that its the wrong version.

my mobo is picking up the Sata drive easily so that is fine, its just the OS is not.

hi, try to plug-in your SATA using a SATA to usb converter..check if it will show up in your Device Manager -- Disk Management..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.