Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I have a 250 sata and just got a matching one. I have had just one for over a year now but think maybe I would like to do an raid setup. Is it possible now? If so, what is the best raid setup?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

so there are different types of raid read this
i think that the most common is RAID 1 for data safety. but in most cases it's used in huge servers, and for home use i'd not advice using raid at all, if you need your data be safe, buy a good backup software.

Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

Thanks. I do video editing but not all the time and not a lot. I will probably just keep it as two seperate hd.
I just need a better understanding about using the two as seperates.
My understanding was that the apps need to be on the same disc or partition as the os. could you explain to me how to partition and put it all on the two? I would be greatly in your debt for a little more education on the matter.
Right now I have one 250gb hd. I have it partitioned into 3 parts. One partition is os and programs, one is storage of my documents, video etc, other for backup. I was going to use the 3rd partition as an image to backup the os part but haven't had the time and am not sure what to do.
I have the os partitioned at 31mb but only have 9.1gb left. I have some big programs I need and have installed. Do you have some pointers for me on this? Could I use the 3rd part and partition that back to the 1st partition using any special program? Is there anyway to get the 3 partition into the 1st one?

My understanding was that the apps need to be on the same disc or partition as the os. could you explain to me how to partition and put it all on the two?

it's not nessesary, some can say that it will improve the speed of the whole system, but.... you know i couldn't mention any difference. as you said you do video editing, in this case i'd recomend to split this process, for example you video editing prog is installed on the first HD, and the source video stored on other one, it will improve the speed of decoding.

the other thing i'd suggest to make for example 10Gb partition and install on it only windows and other progs install on other partition.

for backup i'd recomend use a separate storage device like ext hd or DVDs, if you don't have such opportunety look at true image it hase a remarkable feature - secure zone, it's a special hidden partition for storing archives on the computer system itself.

I have the os partitioned at 31mb but only have 9.1gb left. I have some big programs I need and have installed. Do you have some pointers for me on this? Could I use the 3rd part and partition that back to the 1st partition using any special program? Is there anyway to get the 3 partition into the 1st one?

if i understand you right, you want to merge partitions, for such purpose you need have a 3d party partition prog, like partition magic, if you don't have PM, i'd suggest you to find another one - Disk Director, coz frankly speaking it's better and cheaper then PM.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.