Hi, just curious. By going into DOS and typing oh say:

Format C:

and then answering yes, does that make the format ntfs or fat32?

Thanks in advance, oh and whats the useable memory loss after formatting in FAT.

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Member Avatar for TKSS

Format C:

Thanks in advance, oh and whats the useable memory loss after formatting in FAT.

Depends on the OS you're using. If it is XP or 2000 I think it's NTFS

98 FAT32

95 FAT16

But don't quote me on that...I'm not Microsavvy.

Member Avatar for TKSS

Just looked it up...

Win95 OEM release2 and above are FAT32 (includes 98)
Win XP is NTFS
NT 4.0 and 95 1st release - VFAT

Any ideas on how to create one partion of all the memory on the HDD? At the moment, it's all unpartitioned space and needs to be formatted using ntfs, all in DOS. Any ideas?

Any ideas on how to create one partion of all the memory on the HDD? At the moment, it's all unpartitioned space and needs to be formatted using ntfs, all in DOS. Any ideas?

Use a 2k or XP cd and use the utility there to format it. But don't actually install it if that's not what you want.

I used FDISK, since the end OS is going to be 98 SE anyways.

98 won't run NTFS. Your only choice would be to run FAT32 on any partition larger than 2GB under 98.

Member Avatar for TKSS

Partition Magic works wonders. Slave the HD into your main machine and give that a go.

heh, that's the thing, it was a laptop HDD.

Member Avatar for TKSS

heh, that's the thing, it was a laptop HDD.

DOH! :cheesy: :o

There are laptop hdd -> Standard IDE conectors that you can purchase, you know. :)

What type of laptop is it? Recent systems should be pretty easy to remove the hard drive for temporary installation in a system.

Format C:

If u are in the windows
there is no way u can format C

if u are outside windows
there is no way u can format c if u running NTFS ( winxp or win 2000 )
u cant even found c though....

Typing FORMAT C: in DOS does not make the partition anything but formatted.

The partition type is determined when you create the partition, not when you format it!

I picked up an adapter for laptop drives that will let me connect it to a standard IDE cable and it works great and was about $6.

IT has made setting up a laptop hard drive really easy...

I just stick it into one of my removeable drive bays..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.