IRQ 17 Creative SB Live! Series (WDM) OK
IRQ 19 NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS OK
IRQ 20 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 21 NVIDIA® nForce(TM) IDE Controller OK
IRQ 22 Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller OK
IRQ 22 NVIDIA nForce MCP Networking Adapter OK

--------------------------------

Okay. At first I thought my external usb WD 80gig harddrive was dying on me, so I had warranty and everything ready to ship. Well of course I wanted to save some important files, so I tried one last time connecting the external to my friends laptop. It worked like brand new. I also tried it on another friends desktop pc, worked great.

Now this hd used to work great on my computer, but it started responding slower and slower. Now I'm lucky if my computer recognizes it the first time or even lets me open a folder. I have even tried re-installing xp, but the first time I tried it it didn't even give my hd a letter. It is also usb powered. Oh and I don't know if this means anything but it seems when I connect it to my computer I can hear the external hd trying to run, unlike when its just running smooth and silent on any other pc.

I am using a computer I put together myself which is basically a different mobo inside an older HP, but I am totally baffled to why this would be giving me problems. I am currently sending all my data from the external connected to another pc on my lan to my pc, and now I'm 8 hours into the copying? All in all, this is really becoming a pain in the ass. Any suggestions or things I could try would be greatly appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Well its a long shot but open up your external hard drive and have a look see if any cables are loose that are connecting to the hard drive or if they are faulty

Secondly, if that doesnt work try taking the hard drive out of the enclosure and try it on your ide port on you motherboard if you have got one spare

And if that works, i could be your USB header try a different usb product in the usb port and if it all wark fine get a new hard drive enclosure

Hope This Helps
Bondi007

hai i am also acceptoing u r comment towards imrick's answer but i think u should set the jumper settings properlly,i think its the reason to slow down,so try it and replay

I dont think that will be the problem because if he baught the external hard drive it should be configured correctly and it has worked in the past

My external is definitely not in an enclosure and in no way has anyway in opening it up, so that rules out jumper settings and a different enclosure.

Here is a link to my external, except its a 80 gig not a 120, but its the same besides that.

http://paulstamatiou.com/2007/08/19/review-wd-passport-portable-hard-drive/

hope theres another solution. But like I said, it works fine on any other computer.

Power?

Some usb disks draw a little power from the port, meaning they dont work with laptops or pcs that have lots of devices

I don't believe my PC has a lot of devices. The only thing that is using power is my 2 internal hard drives, my nvidia 7600 GS 512 video card, my soundblaster audio card, and that about is it. I don't have any other devices outside my pc plugging into any other usb slots. I wish I knew what changed to make my external to not work right on my pc, since it DID use to work perfectly fine.

Its a long shot but what is your power suply e.g 450w you can find this out if you open your pc up and look at the side of the power supply and let us know, and let us know what you have got running in the machine e.g how many pci cards and graphics card and optical drives this could be lack of power.

is the external hard drive got external power i.e its own power supply?

if not usb ports a designed not to give lots of power

Let us know whats going on and we might be-able to help you

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.