Member Avatar for snowy

I have a Dell Inspiron 5160 laptop. Was working fine, but now does not power up at all. When plugged in, I touch the power button and all three lights blink green for a fraction of a second. THen only the light on far right blinks ten times yellow/amber. Nothing else happens. What does this mean? Is it the power cord that's the problem or the internal battery? If I remove the battery I get nothing at all. I do not have a spare power cord or battery to test this further. Any advice? I've done some searches and see that this is a problem with 5100 Dells, but I can't seem to find a thread that will take me in the direction of correctly diagnosing the problem with my machine (and I need to fix this asap!) Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Is the power block warm? If not, it's failing to charge the battery and you're out of charge.

Looks like some sort of pwer problem as I think you've judged. See page 15 of your manual for some guidance.

can you find the phone number for dell support? those guys are very helpful

Member Avatar for snowy

Thanks for the input/advice. Next time I'll call the Dell support line as you suggest to see what they have to say - I should have given them a chance. I have a friend who had a bad experience with Dell support, so I guess that's why I stayed away.
For any of you who face this same problem, here's what I did. Although I'm a (complete) novice, I did some research and learned how to get inside the laptop, get under the keyboard and check all the connections, particularly the cable to/fr the battery, and also the memory cards. Interesting project for a novice, and perhaps quite a risky thing to do.
But - to my surprise, my rather blind and tentative efforts solved the problem. I truly couldn't tell you what went right, but the once dead machine came alive, and is working perfectly well again. I can only surmise that some connection was not firing, and by disconnecting and reconnecting it, I got it matched up again.
I'm now much the wiser, though, as a result of my research. I now realize that the problem may occur again and I may not be able to revive the machine again without significant cost and angst.
I'm pleased for now to have a working machine, with no regrets about trying something new and different (that is, pretending to be the tech I'm not).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.