Hi!
The problem I will explain here is really causing me a headache.
I faced it more than 6 times till now. (on different machines)

Anyway, let's speak about a specific situation that happened today.

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel Pentium 4 (2.8 GHz) (1 MB L2)
Mainboard: ASUSTeK Computer Inc. P5P800 Rev 1.xx
Hard Disk Drive: WDC 80 GB
Memory: 256 MB
VGA: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500

Everytime you power on the computer, it won't start because it gets stuck on the following screen:

Overclocking failed! Press F1 to enter SETUP or F2 to continue.
Overvoltage failed!

I changed the PSU to a more powerful one, now I have this:
CPU Fan Error!
Should I change it?
Will the problem be solved?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

CPU fan error usually means that the RPMs are too low, or the threshold for the alert is too high. That is changeable in the BIOS setup.

Hmm..
Overvoltage failed!

That happens after the machine failed to start after the changes made in the BIOS and the default values are restored. Seems like default values are problematic ones.

There are several areas you should look into.

BIOS/mobo - CPU compatibility.
It is possible that you need to upgrade BIOS.

RAM - Mobo compatibility.
Possibly the RAM is inadequate for this mobo, and/or memory timings are wrongly set. Memory (it's capabilities) is the prime reason for an overclocking failures in general.

Failed mobo or CPU, in case the overvoltage error reoccurs. (after the PSU change)

Faulty BIOS.. Far-fetched, but possible cause for the POST errors. Possibly, flashing the newer or same BIOS version could fix this.

CPU fan error usually means that the RPMs are too low, or the threshold for the alert is too high. That is changeable in the BIOS setup.

Hmm..
Overvoltage failed!

That happens after the machine failed to start after the changes made in the BIOS and the default values are restored. Seems like default values are problematic ones.

Thank you for the useful information.
But shouldn't these values be fail-safe? I mean if those default generic values didn't work, so how would the case be with other values?

There are several areas you should look into.

BIOS/mobo - CPU compatibility.
It is possible that you need to upgrade BIOS.

And this is what I was going to ask you about. Could it solve the problem? I remember that I installed a new mainboard (ASUS P5PL2-E) and it made problems just after a week. The supplier suggested that I update the BIOS.

RAM - Mobo compatibility.
Possibly the RAM is inadequate for this mobo, and/or memory timings are wrongly set. Memory (it's capabilities) is the prime reason for an overclocking failures in general.

Thanks for pointing out the importance of memory timings. I'll have to check it out

Failed mobo or CPU, in case the overvoltage error reoccurs. (after the PSU change)

Faulty BIOS.. Far-fetched, but possible cause for the POST errors. Possibly, flashing the newer or same BIOS version could fix this.

I will do the following:
Update the PSU to a more powerful one, and change the CPU Fan after putting new thermal paste.

I'll update you with the results.

I had problems with my PC for a long time. Caused by not-so-compatible RAM and wrong timings set by BIOS as default values. I had to manualy set the timings myself. Otherwise I would get memory-related errors at random.

And this is what I was going to ask you about. Could it solve the problem? I remember that I installed a new mainboard (ASUS P5PL2-E) and it made problems just after a week. The supplier suggested that I update the BIOS

Here you can see if your CPU is listed. You would need to know exact model/revision of the CPU.

I had problems with my PC for a long time. Caused by not-so-compatible RAM and wrong timings set by BIOS as default values. I had to manualy set the timings myself. Otherwise I would get memory-related errors at random.

How did you know the right timings?

Hi!

I just want to tell you that IT WORKED.

I changed the PSU to a more powerful one, then I changed the CPU Fan (I suspected it was faulty, electrically), of course I put new thermal paste after cleaning the CPU upper surface from the remains of the old one.

Everything's running fine now.

How did you know the right timings?

I found a timing formula on the net.

Here is my post here regarding that.

Good to know you took care of the problem. Well done.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.